• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

POW KW+ keying circuit

I do have one suggestion. The coax leading from the Load control to the relay does not have the shield braid connected. This was a bad habit somebody must have learned from Maco. Connecting the braid to a ground lug on the Load control, and running a wire from the rear end braid to a ground lug on one of the Antenna jack screws tends to make the driver tuning more stable. I just unwrap a half inch or so of the black jacket at each end without taking anything loose. A short piece of stranded hookup wire gets wrapped around the exposed braid and soldered. The other end of each wire gets grounded at that end.

Whether or not the driver Tune control gets twitchy when you turn it, we ground each end of the output-coax braid as a preventive measure.

I do have one suggestion. The coax leading from the Load control to the relay does not have the shield braid connected. This was a bad habit somebody must have learned from Maco. Connecting the braid to a ground lug on the Load control, and running a wire from the rear end braid to a ground lug on one of the Antenna jack screws tends to make the driver tuning more stable. I just unwrap a half inch or so of the black jacket at each end without taking anything loose. A short piece of stranded hookup wire gets wrapped around the exposed braid and soldered. The other end of each wire gets grounded at that end.

Whether or not the driver Tune control gets twitchy when you turn it, we ground each end of the output-coax braid as a preventive measure.

Hi Nomad,

Thank you for the suggestion! I was wondering if one end would work or both. I will do both, hopefully this weekend. Does the wire size matter when grounding?

Thanks for the help! Next question… How much drive will this thing take? Not that I’m going to drive it that hard.. Tubes aren’t cheap! I’m just curious.. I tried it with a Grant LT and Galaxy 86V on am.. It doesn’t seem to swing very much.. I may not have it tuned right… It has a knob on the side and tune and load on the front.. So, what is the correct way to tune it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2224.jpeg
    IMG_2224.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 43
First thing to check is for the "twin peaks" on the Plate Tune knobs.

With the Load control set for max modulated power, spin the driver tune on the side. It should show a peak at *TWO* separate spots in one 360-degree turn of the knob. The peaks might be close together, or they might be 180 degrees apart. The important thing is to see that you have two peaks. If there is only one, a glance at the plates on that control will reveal that they are at one or the other extreme of adjustment. Plates fully apart, or fully meshed together. When you see this, the coil attached to that control has to be adjusted. This rule also holds for the front-panel final Tune control.

Until both Tune controls show those two peaks at a spot in between the two extremes of adjustment, you'll typically lose some power.

Running it with either Tune control at "just one" peak can be hard on the tubes.

The tiny adjustment screw on the rear panel gets set with a SWR meter and a coax jumper added between the radio and amplifier. Once it's tuned up for max modulated power, see what the drive-side SWR meter reads. The rear-panel screw is the input tuning and should be set for minimum SWR while the amp is keyed. Makes life easier on the radio.

Any of those can hold back the power.

Reactions: Trainman 8274

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.