• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Presenting the reincarnation of the sl41 (stryker sr-75nc)

Actually, one of my suggestions was to add SSB to another radio. I didn't have one in mind, but I was going to mention that having one SSB radio out of the entire line has got to be losing potential sales. I'm not extremely familiar with all of the models, so you think the 447 would by the kitty?
The 447 would be my choice because it's small, and I believe it is based on the 6666 as it appears to have the same heat sink. Maybe they could make a 447 Pro? It would walk all over the x9 for sure.

Tested this mic on the scope today against the SRA 198 and the astatic 575-M6 the old famous power mic, the Stryker puts out almost double the audio on the scope as the ranger sra198 and about half of the astatic 575 M6 but remember the Astatic 575 M6 is not noise canceling so my 2 cents the Stryker is doing very well, I just had to add an extra layer to the front of the element to be used as a pop filter.

Tested this mic on the scope today against the SRA 198 and the astatic 575-M6 the old famous power mic, the Stryker puts out almost double the audio on the scope as the ranger sra198 and about half of the astatic 575 M6 but remember the Astatic 575 M6 is not noise canceling so my 2 cents the Stryker is doing very well, I just had to add an extra layer to the front of the element to be used as a pop filter.
how does the president digimike rate?

What faceplate changes would you use to add the am fm pa ssb swtich where do you think it would look good and what would you like to see eliminated? as the faceplate of all of the radios are pretty packed.

How about calling it the 457 and doing away with the FM and PA functions?
then the mode switch could be AM USB and LSB.

turn the PA jack into an amp keying jack.

would sell like hot cakes.
LC

I haven't tried much, except the stock mic, and a Turner RK70, but the Digi-Mike has been great on President radios. I'm using 4 right now, all on Presidents (McKinley EU, George FCC, George II, and the Washington. The stock mic that comes with the Washington has a little extra weight to it, so it feels good in the hand, so does the Digi-Mike, and it's noise cancelling works well.

I do not like the sound of the nrc noise reduction but in my opinion the digimic sounds better on the president radios than the stryker. I found the stryker to have a muffled sound with my voice possibly due too lack of foam in front of the element.

Reactions: G-Golly Wally
I received my STRYKER SR-76NC microphone by STRYKER US this week.

I'd like to share my experiences to give room for optimizations. I really don't like to criticize as I'm happy that there's one manufacturer, who picked the design of the Palomar SL41 and who did a new production following with it.

Nevertheless there are weaknesses and room for optimization.

I drawed the schematic by reverse engineering.
The values of the SMD capacitors have been developed by my capacitance measurement device. That might be not 100% accurate while testing the soldered capacitors within the complete circuit, but I'm sure I got the correct values.

STRYKER SR-76NC.JPG

Unfortunately there's no schematic printed on the packaging.
There is a 2 paper sheet within a rough description of the 2 variable resistors.

But in my opinion this is not enough to describe it correctly. As both variable resistors interact. It only gets clear if you have a look to the schematic, I guess.

Cause first of all you need to adjust RV2 for the bass attenuating characteristics you'd like to have. As RV2 does not only change the sound characteristics, but it changes also the audio level! The higher the attenuation of basses (resistance of RV2 needs to get smaller), the less on resulting audio level.
The weakness of the design is the value of C4 with 1,5µF. Meaning it's needed to decrease RV2 massively (and automatically the AF level as well) until you might recognize any change in audio characteristics. Now I'm not wondering anymore why people told here, that they do not recognize any significant change in audio characteristics.

After setting RV2 to you desired sound characteristics, you can continue with RV1 to get the needed audio level.

But RV1 will not only work as a volume attenuator, it interacts with its parallel C6 as a dynamic changing AF highpass filter too. The higher the resistance of RV1, the less volume - but also the less attenuation of the basses. These are 2 effects in parallel. You might hear these results more or less on-air.

I just like to say, people need to know that to adjust both VRs in the correct order. Otherwise you might go around in circles on adjusting for modulation level and quality.

Optimizations:
First of all C4 needs to be changed from 1,5µF to 100nF, which acts as an AF highpass filter on about 160 Hz, even if RV2 is on its top position of full 10k (= least AF level attenuation). On setting RV2 to 5k, AF highpass rises up to 320 Hz which is a crisp sound. And still does not attenuate the AF level too much.

That's a simple modification which will solve the problem and make the SR-76NC even better, I guess.

Hope you enjoy.

vy 73,
Jochen, DG2IAQ, 13OP25

as the faceplate of all of the radios are pretty packed.
THIS^
My biggest reason I don't use my v1 955 anymore! It's a great sounding radio ( thanks to a couple of tweaks by @davew41 ), but the controls are too packed together and easy to inadvertantly mess up (fat fingers) when running mobile. Just might have to try one of these new Stryker mics on my Quad5NII. Might wait a bit to see if they incorporate some of these improvements suggested in this thread.

JD

I tried the new Stryker and the DigiMike (mic type set to Electret) on my barefoot Q6Pro mobile last night and both received very favorable mic checks from Bases that were 40~50miles away. Clean, clear, and more punch (modulation) than the stock mic which also is very clear. Which is a nice surprise since both are NC and a lot of times an NC mic will have "pinched" audio.

Reactions: Brother DXer
The 447 would be my choice because it's small, and I believe it is based on the 6666 as it appears to have the same heat sink. Maybe they could make a 447 Pro? It would walk all over the x9 for sure.
The good news is...there is another SSB radio in the works. That bad news is it's about the size of a Cobra 29. I can't elaborate on the features and asthetics right now.

Also, there will be another NC mic from Stryker that will boast a dynamic element. Something to look forward to.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.