• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Question

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
I am buying a 1981 GMC half tone. I was wanting to know were i could mount a antenna perminantly. Need a place were its grounded but i dont know much about were a antenna should be mounted on a truck. Maby a mag mount would work to. In the feature would like to run some power out of her. Any suggestions would be helpful! CDX197

We might want to move this post to the Installations section.......Anyways Logan, I have a 85 GMC half ton myself....I wasn't to fond of drilling a hole on my roof top of vehicle.....I used a Wilson 1000 magmount, slapped it on center of roof top........At the bottom of magmount, I ran my coax down the right side of rear window, you can carefully roll it behind your weather stripping to hide it.......Once I reached the bottom right side of window. I ran coax down between the bed and cab, I drilled a 1/2 " hole from behind the seat...unscrew the connector at the end of coax from the Wilson or else you cant get it to go through the hole that was drilled........Then I ran coax underneath the plastic strips running on floorboard right where the door shuts....... (You can run coax on either side of vehicle right or left)........Then undearneath floor carpeting to you desired location.....I don't know how much juice you want to run, but possibly a Wilson 5000 if your gonna kick it up a notch......This is what I'm using, maybe you'll get some good ideas from some of the other forum members..........Good luck bud.......Now we just need some conditions........73's

Would it be possible it i could weld a steal rode to the frame and put a antenna on it? Maby weld it between the cab and the truck bed? Would that give me a good ground? Everything is rebuilt in this truck so i dont want to drill a hole like my last car and the have to move it :oops: Just wanting to have this planned out so i can do it asap and get talking! CDX197

yes if you weld a peice of rebar to the chasis that would give you a good ground.. you never mentioned what type of Anteena you are gonna run.. i run mag mount an i also run power not alot but enough an i have no problems with the mag... depending on the type of ANT if its like a 102" they have strap mounts that you can put to your bumper no holes needed... then you just ground it out the the chasis from there.. but to answer your question yes it would work... also.. if you go to weld it watch out for the GAS LINES.. if i remember right the are on the drivers side...

maybe this well help

they sell a stake hole mout like for the side of the bed were you would put a board for a big load in your bed that you can mount any ant witha 3/8 24 therd on the end if it is a bottom load ant get it up above the cab center load same thing or if you have a truck box the sell a mount for that to you could get a predtor 10k with a tri mag mount well work. toohttp://www.alfenterprises.com/cb_radios/cb_antennas/antenna_mounts.htm hope this helps the higher the better ceter of roof is best make sure you get some grounding strap or use the braid off a pice of coax strap bed to cab cab to frame hood to cab doors to cab and frame to negitive of battre the youll have a asome gorund

Another question. When i get my 4 pill how can i hook it up to the alternator. I was told that there was a stub or wire(not for sure i wasnt really paying much attention) on the back of the alternator. Could i clip that and hook my amp up to it? And then wire it back up????? Or maby i should just run my 2 pill instead. Wouldnt be that hard to do. Just hook it up to the battarie. Thanks CDX197

Get a piece of 6" aluminum angle iron about 6" long and mount it in the center of your front bed rail. Drill a hole in the dead center of it for a plastic insulator and mount your whip there. You may or may not need the spring. Mine is done like that and I have 1.4:1 without the spring and 1.2:1 with the spring. Not a noticable difference

Here's mine on my S10,
Antenna mount:
ant.jpg

Grounds to frame:
grounds.jpg

What I did was took a piece of flat stock and bent it 90* then drilled bolt holes it and spotwelded nuts on the outside of the bend. I then pulled my bedliner out drilled holes in the bed and slipped the angle between the bed and cab and bolted it in. then I reinstalled my bedliner.
bracket.JPG

CDX197 said:
Another question. When i get my 4 pill how can i hook it up to the alternator. I was told that there was a stub or wire(not for sure i wasnt really paying much attention) on the back of the alternator. Could i clip that and hook my amp up to it? And then wire it back up????? Or maby i should just run my 2 pill instead. Wouldnt be that hard to do. Just hook it up to the battarie. Thanks CDX197

Just hook the 4 pill right to the batery. As long as you got a big battery with a good amount of reserve power you should be ok. I ran a 667 for a little while off of the stock alternator and an optima battery. It worked ok.

As long as you got a big batter, you will have no problem running a 4 pill. Alt. upgrades are easy for that truck, you can get a alt that will have more that enough power for that 4 pill that is a streigh bolt up install.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m