• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

RCI-2995 DX HP Factory Error

Tbh, I can't see that chip getting hot unless you max the volume for a long time, use the wrong impedance external speaker/pa or some fault develops causing it to overheat. Since it doesn't get hot under normal operation, I'd stick the shim to it.

Reactions: unit_399
They suggested adding one additional insulator behind the audio amp if you were concerned about it. They included a picture for your reference. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
That sounds like a line right out of MFJ's play book.
" Yes we know it was assembled wrong but you can fix it....."
That just sucks honestly

Jeff

Tbh, I can't see that chip getting hot unless you max the volume for a long time, use the wrong impedance external speaker/pa or some fault develops causing it to overheat. Since it doesn't get hot under normal operation, I'd stick the shim to it.
Another reply. The three phrases that scare me are, "they believe", "they do not think" and "I do not believe". No sense dragging this subject out because it is a win-win for the manufacturer and a lose-lose for the AMERICAN consumer.
Quote: "If one or both of the radios actually were to fail within the warranty period, then you would need to pay to send it to us. Ranger will then pay us to repair the radio and send it back for free. However, They do not think that the audio amp position will be an issue for your radios performance. So I do not think you need to be concerned."

• Wow
Reactions: AudioShockwav
That's shoddy craftsmanship on the manufacturer. You would need to unsolder the tda, possibly replace it if the Leeds are too short. Reducing the thickness of the insulator from thick to thin would exaggerate the tilt. I'd preemptively replace those chips all together, using the thinner Mica insulator and a dab of compound, and solder as the last step. Soldering before mounting causes uneven tension, leading to broken pads/traces, cracked insulator or cracked/over heated chip. Mount first, solder last.
How about this New out-of-the box General LEE? Thicker shim or tighten the fastener? LOL!

Attachments

• General Lee.jpg
    General Lee.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
It's sad, when Ranger came out with the 2950 and the 5054 they seemed to be on the right track, fast forward about 25 years and its turned to crap.
That's just "I don't care" sloppy assembly.

Jeff
I have the 5054, it does very well on 6 meters. I use it to check in to some local 6m nets around here.

I own/occasionally use a 2950dx6 and has been pretty good so far.

But before I put it in service I went through to line everything out because it was a mess to start with. Aside from conversion, the anytone rigs are ready to talk. Not with anything Ranger......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m