• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

RD16hhf1

Tech12

Feb 25, 2014
South Wales UK.
Hi guys: Just wondering if anyone has tried replacing the RD16hhf1 in a Cobra 200 gtl DX with an IRF520N ? & what success they had.
Just had another 1 in with a blown RD.

Had another 1 of these this afternoon, no output due to the RD. When I took it out I found a hole blown in 1 side of it, checked the gate voltage on the transistor with the old 1 out & found it set at 6.2 volts. Apparently it went to the local rig doctor for a tune up & came back with no Night watch, No output & Intermittent display with a smell of burnt plastic.

Andy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Had another 1 of these this afternoon, no output due to the RD. When I took it out I found a hole blown in 1 side of it, checked the gate voltage on the transistor with the old 1out & found it set at 6.2 volts. Apparently it went to the local rig doctor for a tune up & came back with no Night watch, No output & Intermittent display with a smell of burnt plastic.

Andy

LMAO!! That will do it!!!

Had yet another 1 of these pieces of junk hit the bench this afternoon with no output (Surprise Surprise). Checked the RD & it had a hole in it with 6 volts on the gate, reset the gate voltage to 3.4 & replaced the RD. This time though it didn't provide a cure, there was still no output. I checked with the scope & found no drive, when I traced this back I found that some idiot had already had a go at it & put the 2SC2314 in backwards. When I removed this & put in a new 1 the right way around we had a nice healthy drive waveform & plenty of output.
Wish just once a customer would come clean & tell me that a radio has already been got at.

Andy

I think your about 7-8 years late for getting Cobra 200's on your bench for repair. They were one big turd of a radio, probably had a 75+% failure rate. By the time the last versions came out and people stopped over tuning them it was too late, no one wanted them.

Unfortunately I still get them in for repair pretty regularly, there still seems to be a lot of people using them over here. Yes I think they're total crap but if people are still paying me to repair them then I won't turn them away, the repair trade is so bad over here we try not to turn anything away.

Andy

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.