• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Recommondation $600 to $750

Quackshack CB Shop website-Click on the yellow duck(top left)then click on the black and white texas star logo(also top left)You are now into their whole line of texas star amps and you will have a hard time finding any of them cheaper anywhere else..$629.00 for the 1600!!!Hope this helped you out,I do alot of my buisness through them and they are great.

Last edited:
excellent price/find kevin ! that price is for a legal amp that has not been converted to 11 meter use .
http://www.thequackshack.com/amps/texasstar.htm

wasnt H&Y and a few other places selling T/S amps unconverted and at very low prices but not including some part necessay for conversion and charging an outrageous price for it ? not that it matters because this is a ham forum . :p

Last edited by a moderator:
excellent price/find kevin ! that price is for a legal amp that has not been converted to 11 meter use .
http://www.thequackshack.com/amps/texasstar.htm

wasnt H&Y and a few other places selling T/S amps unconverted and at very low prices but not including some part necessay for conversion and charging an outrageous price for it ? not that it matters because this is a ham forum . :p

This is a Radio Communications forum (y)

"Legal"?? For what?

Good question! :)
The T/S amplifiers can be legal for amateur use. Doesn't say anything about 'quality', just legality. They ARE illegal for -commercial sale- as either amateur/CB/other for use -in- the USA because they are not type accepted, either as a completed device or as a kit. That license allows an amateur to be in possession of things that an unlicensed person can't legally have...or use. (Or the licensed person using said device in an un-legal manner.)

[That doesn't mean that a ham "get's away with" anything, by the way. Just that they 'paid' for the privilege.]

- 'Doc

For what it's worth, the Texas Star stuff that is meant to be "for sale in the U.S." is actually legal. Don't ask me how they have gotten the FCC to sign off on this, but here's why:

What is supposed to be sold in the U.S. is actually a QRP 10 meter trasmitter that transmitts less than 5 watts RMS. They're not "amplifiers" per se.

Of course, it's pretty easy to convert these into amplifiers, and as soon as you do that and sell it as such you stand a good chance of getting a friendly letter in the mail. Kind've funny actually how Texas Star is getting away with this.

I think RM Italy's used to come unmodded and you had to replace or solder a wire on for them to work. Texas Stars I can remember them having a little blue wire you would simply clip to make them work. As far as CB radio goes , none are legal :( as was written , even Hams' have rules and reg's they should follow or they "could" lose there licenses , but I think that's about as easy as a cb'er being fined for using such illegal amplifier. What is it ? Amp builder once told me it wasn't against the law to build his amps , he just couldn't sell them. :( And Booty , I have to agree with Hamer on this one. It's a Radio Communacations Forum , Lord knows , there's "all kinds" of radio communacations. :) Peace

For what it's worth, the Texas Star stuff that is meant to be "for sale in the U.S." is actually legal. Don't ask me how they have gotten the FCC to sign off on this, but here's why:

What is supposed to be sold in the U.S. is actually a QRP 10 meter trasmitter that transmitts less than 5 watts RMS. They're not "amplifiers" per se.

Of course, it's pretty easy to convert these into amplifiers, and as soon as you do that and sell it as such you stand a good chance of getting a friendly letter in the mail. Kind've funny actually how Texas Star is getting away with this.

I wonder how many hams use these as CW transmitters.

Its legal because these are not external power amplifiers, they are transmitters because they ship without an RF input connector. There are no laws prohibiting sale of transmitters.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m