• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Sidewinder 350 / sd1076 transistors

DR456

Jan 23, 2017
Baton Rouge Louisiana
Any information on the sidewinder 350 would be great. Also need the transistor rating specifications. Take a look at it. Looks like it got pretty hot..

Attachments

• 1529955448474495013899.jpg
    1529955448474495013899.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 549
  • 15299554792361184562955.jpg
    15299554792361184562955.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 1529955500732-502203053.jpg
    1529955500732-502203053.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 499

The logo "SSS" on the transistors is the manufacturer. Can't even remember the name it stood for, Solid State Systems, or something like that. Wikipedia never heard of them.

They got bought in the early 80s, but I can't remember by whom. S-T Semi, who still uses the "SD" prefix for RF transistors doesn't make that number now.

The online sources only show this number indirectly as a cross reference, but no data for it.

Don't ever remember seeing any info for a Hayden amplifier.

It's an orphan.

The logo "SSS" on the transistors is the manufacturer. Can't even remember the name it stood for, Solid State Systems, or something like that. Wikipedia never heard of them.

They got bought in the early 80s, but I can't remember by whom. S-T Semi, who still uses the "SD" prefix for RF transistors doesn't make that number now.

The online sources only show this number indirectly as a cross reference, but no data for it.

Don't ever remember seeing any info for a Hayden amplifier.

It's an orphan.

Hey Nomad. I found a broken wire at the hi / low switch resistor. Replaced the led's. Fired her up 2 watts swinging 18 pep going in. 50 watt dead key swinging 350 pep out. They call it a 350. I guess she's working properly. Open to suggestions on how many watts it should do.

I bought a Side Winder 350. For some reason it only works on TEST. And it gets real hot with it just turned on and not talking on it. What would cause it to get real hot just sitting there turned on?

The "Test" position is the highest wattage choice on that knob. The lower-power selections place resistors between the radio's drive power and the amplifier's input circuit. This reduces the drive power reaching the amplifier transistors. If all the lower-power positions of that knob are dead, that means someone drove it with excessive drive power. This burns out those resistors, and no power can pass through them to reach the input circuit. The "Test" position bypasses the burned resistors.

Good chance if you look behind the front panel at the rear of that selector switch you'll see visibly burned parts attached to it.

Getting hot when it should be in receive mode raises one question. Can the radio receive normally with this amplifier in line? If not, the keying circuit has been damaged by excess drive and the amplifier is activating the relay all the time. If the relay has a transparent cover you can watch the mechanism while turning the power on and off. If you see it move when the power is applied, that's your problem. The keying circuit.

If the relay does NOT engage when the power is turned on, there is a failure in the circuit that turns on the operating bias to the RF transistors.

The "Test" position is the highest wattage choice on that knob. The lower-power selections place resistors between the radio's drive power and the amplifier's input circuit. This reduces the drive power reaching the amplifier transistors. If all the lower-power positions of that knob are dead, that means someone drove it with excessive drive power. This burns out those resistors, and no power can pass through them to reach the input circuit. The "Test" position bypasses the burned resistors.

Good chance if you look behind the front panel at the rear of that selector switch you'll see visibly burned parts attached to it.

Getting hot when it should be in receive mode raises one question. Can the radio receive normally with this amplifier in line? If not, the keying circuit has been damaged by excess drive and the amplifier is activating the relay all the time. If the relay has a transparent cover you can watch the mechanism while turning the power on and off. If you see it move when the power is applied, that's your problem. The keying circuit.

If the relay does NOT engage when the power is turned on, there is a failure in the circuit that turns on the operating bias to the RF transistors.

Yes the radio works good when amp is in line. The preamp also doesn't work. When you turn the preamp on it drops the signals down to almost nothing. There were some cold soldier joints. There was also a burnt and one unhooked resistor behind the power switch. Had a local guy here that plays around with stuff . He told me he replaced that burnt and unhooked part. And soldier the part where the soldier was cracked loose. People says it sounds good on TEST. I just don't like the ideal of it laying in the floor getting real hot while I'm not talking on it. You think it's worth fixing or junk box?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.