• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

The 1-1-1-1-1- guy. A Closer Look.

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Okay, fellas. Let's see if we can do this in an appropriate manner. No cursing, name calling and such or the admins will make this thread disappear. And rightfully so. (y)

While there are a lot of annoying operators out there using duck calls, sirens, music, news reports about policemen, and a host of other measures, the majority of interest seems to focus on the 1-1-1-1-1 guy. And yes, I've heard him too.

To determine if he is operating from a single location, we need to answer the question, "Is he being heard in different parts of the country when conditions are quiet and there is no skip?" If the answer is no, and he is only being heard in different locales when skip is rampant, then we can assume he's likely operating from a single location. (Personally, I've only heard him via skip.) However, if the answer is yes, three possibilities exist.

1. He is operating mobile. Highly unlikely though. That would include a LOT of time and effort in traveling great distances.
2. He is operating multiple stations remotely. These can be his or they might belong to family members or friends. A great many hams operate in this manner when away from home.
3. He has a friends or admirers across the country who mimic him. He may or may not even know who they are.

Open for discussion. And remember, keep it civilized.

In the panhandle, I hear him when skip is really active and seems to be when it's coming from the east. I'll start taking notes of when the annoyance is happening as well as where stations are that I make the most contacts to give a better sense of direction.

The bad part is that when he's blaring in here it's difficult to talk over his garbage.

Reactions: Riverman
I only hear him a few times out of the week, and not all that strong either. Many of you can cover him up without much effort. So its basically at his own location. With many knowing it irritates many, most follow and just say 1 1 1 1 themselves or a recording. Makes it appear as if he is operating remote, but that is highly unlikely.

Either way, the problem is even if one finds his actual location, nothing is ever done. There are others who have been located and nothing has been done. The guy from Chicago on channel 19 surprised me when I went to go visit some friends. The others on the channel knew his exact address, but he has been jamming 19 for many years...

Number 3 seems more the realistic situation.

I think there is a 4th possibility, and if I had some serious hatred for 11m, this is how I would do it.

Have a receiver on 28 or 6 and a transmitter on 38. An arduino would sample the analog S-meter voltage from the receiver and determine when conditions are active. When active, the transmitter is automatically turned on. Solar panel and small battery, runs until it can't, sun recharges it for next round of skip. It could be in the middle of nowhere hidden on a fire watch tower somewhere using the cheapest barefoot radios available. No risk of being caught if you never plan to retrieve the equipment.

What would it cost to do that? Not much. The fact nobody hears this guy local when skip is dead and that it always sounds the same supports this theory.

KiwiDSR (online) has a built in TDoA extension which allows for HF radio direction finding.

It can help narrow your search area significantly if used correctly. I have used it to check OTHR signals and have found it can be fairly accurate. But you need to spend time with it to get enough results, to join the dots.

The photo below is the result of using KiwiSDR TDoA to locate the TIGER HF Radar: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/research/centre/csp/hf-radar

TIGER.jpg

FYI, I have also heard 1111 here in Australia when the USA propagation is coming in.

Well from my investigation.. the guys in Az, goes by 119, if you listen to him closely it's the same person/voice. How did I come to this conclusion? I'm right smack dab in the middle of the states. I run a long boom 4 element flat yagi, the 1-1-1-1-1 stops and a lot of times a guy comes in and says it's awful quiet on my business band, then spews profanities. I've got under his skin talking about his wife leaving him for a colorful gentleman,and so forth, but during the whole interaction no 1,1,1,1,1 guy. When we stop interacting guess what starts back up, yup 1,1,1,1,1... Then a few moments later, I'm up on .425 and a guys there bragging about tearing up .385 and so forth, and Signs off to his buddies up on. 425 as 119... Then several times on .385, you'll hear 119 cqing and coincidentally no 1,1,1,1 guy and he brings up the 1,1,1,1 guy and claims he's in Texas or Pennsylvania to get people off his trail. I'll bet dollars to donuts, the 1,1,1,1, guy is this 119 out of Phoenix AZ. But whenever I hear him, 100% of the time is coming from the southwest.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m