• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Vintage SSB Base CBs vs New

Can't imagine wanting the standard RCI drift, noise and lousy audio over a Uniden-built classic from the 70s or 80s, rock-solid on frequency, much better filtering and no need for hacking and clipping to outperform anything with Ranger guts.

If your going to spend that kind of money on a cb radio base station. Pass it by and get this instead. The 2547 can't even compare! Been running this for 6 months with ZERO drift and 100 watts pep all day long.
(New board)

I agree that is the base to have these day, my old Galaxy Dx 2517 still has a lot to offer but I would like to be able to listen to 10 and 12 meter. There is a reason those big black radios have been around so long, good form factor. Btw my 2517 is stable but my power level is set pretty much to the service manual specifications (a little less am carrier due to npc-rc) anyways going to try slow scan tv with it as soon as I get my hands on a usb sound card.

Just wish I could remember what year the name on the front of that Grant model shown above changed from "President" to "Uniden". Some time in the early to mid 1980s?

I would agree. It was somewhere in the '83 - '84 range. I think President was still advertising their lineup here in the states in late 1981. In 1984 I decided to update my station (I was using a Hy-Gain V + Hy-Gain v.f.o at the time). A co-worker thought the tax exempt number he had from a previous employer might still work, so we went the distributor he was familiar with and took a look at the two-radio section. The radio I bought was a Uniden Grant, which looked just like a President Grant on the outside. (now I'm looking at my notes). There seemed to be a lapse in President CB advertising at some point in '82, and by '84 the split had taken place - Uniden for North America, President everywhere else. My notes are fairly accurate, but my memory often reflects all the mileage it has accrued. :sneaky:

This was the end result in 1984...

treehouse_spring_max_ad_900sm.jpg

Can't imagine wanting the standard RCI drift, noise and lousy audio over a Uniden-built classic from the 70s or 80s, rock-solid on frequency, much better filtering and no need for hacking and clipping to outperform anything with Ranger guts.
Exactly. I'll take my Grant XL over pretty much every thing else. I wouldn't mind picking up a clean Uniden base, or a clean cobra 2000.

And over $100 shipping in each case.
Buy a Uniden Washington year 2000 CB for $250 on eBay then. Year 2000 does not need a rebuild. No nasty 1970s to early 1980s CBs for me. I believe serial number starting with a 0 are year 2000 (check this). This radio has three buttons on lower right front panel.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.