• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Wawasee style JB12 " no bias components"

Danzik

Oct 18, 2022
Hi there, I have this modulator that is alot like a JB12 that I am working on and recapping after opening the unit up I noticed that there is a pair of old camera batteries 22 1/2 volt that are being used for the negative bias LOL, I also noticed there is only 4 wires coming from the transformer and not 6 wires like the Wawasee's so with this being said is there any easy way around this can I come off from somewhere else to put my bias circuitry in safely? I find multiple places that have around 50 VAC but they are going other places. Thanks 20241015_211753.jpg

Hi there, I have this modulator that is alot like a JB12 that I am working on and recapping after opening the unit up I noticed that there is a pair of old camera batteries 22 1/2 volt that are being used for the negative bias LOL, I also noticed there is only 4 wires coming from the transformer and not 6 wires like the Wawasee's so with this being said is there any easy way around this can I come off from somewhere else to put my bias circuitry in safely? I find multiple places that have around 50 VAC but they are going other places. Thanks View attachment 70491
Why not add another small transformer?

Reactions: Danzik
I think I may have found a wire cutoff at the base of the transformer, I added wire to it so I may have my issue resolved hopefully!

Hi there, I have this modulator that is alot like a JB12 that I am working on and recapping after opening the unit up I noticed that there is a pair of old camera batteries 22 1/2 volt that are being used for the negative bias LOL, I also noticed there is only 4 wires coming from the transformer and not 6 wires like the Wawasee's so with this being said is there any easy way around this can I come off from somewhere else to put my bias circuitry in safely? I find multiple places that have around 50 VAC but they are going other places. Thanks View attachment 70491
Unfortunately there appears to be more than one issue here. Many of these designs only used a two pole relay and offer no ability to switch the bias on and off. They are tube killer's from day one as a result.

If that's my only route I can take I may have to do that but there isn't much room to add another, would probably have to replace the one that I in it.
I modified one for use with a 6LF6 tube that required more negative bias. I took a small 24 volt transformer out of a tiny "wall wart" and used a voltage doubler. This provides over -65 volts DC to work with. Usually enough to place a stock tube into cutoff. Although, I prefer switching the screen voltage off in RX on these units.

Reactions: AudioShockwav

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    those boys in Louisiana going to be hard to live with...working those HI stations...my buddy Greg KK5SW/4 elements @35ft/350 watts...2 HI contacts today!!!! Arnold KE5JXC snagged one also!!!
    +1
  • @ Mark Malcomb:
    Hello BJ. Been a long time since I've been on. You doing well? Mark Malcomb
  • @ Naysayer:
    I’m