• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

What does everyone think about the Galaxy dx-959

Galaxy radios are a Ranger product, and Friends don't let friends buy Ranger products.

Totally agree with sp5it about the noisy receiver, though it's not the worst one out there. Some of them drift like a rudderless boat on SSB, others aren't so bad once they warm up. And the frequency counter isn't a counter at all, it's just a display that isn't especially useful.

Quality control is sorely lacking, which is a big Ranger problem. Cold solder joints are often an issue as the radio ages.
The 959 was actually one of the better Galaxy offerings.... so credit where credit is due, but it doesn't hold a candle to a vintage Uniden or Cobra product or a modern Anytone 5555N2. Those radios are much more solid, reliable, and stable.

There is an adjustment that can be made to clean up the receive. The frequency is stable after it warms up as long as the temperature doesn't change. It is closely related to the 86v, which I played with a while back.

I love mine, but I bought it from Pronto CB in Omaha. For a premium they went trough Transmit and Receive and set it up right. It's a boomer on TX and Rx is better than any radio I had. My stand alone freq counter shows no drift at all. The stock Mic is crap!
The best mic I have found for the Galaxy radios is the pro com power mic. And the price is right too.

I don't own a 959, but have worked on plenty. I do own a 20+ year old 949, which is the same sans freq display. I made it work okay (AGC mod, UN-schottky'd). Talks well, RX is not great out of the box. Old ones seem to be more stable than newer.

Last edited:
- I'll also add one to the list: that awful starlite faceplate inverter noise (model dependant).
Oof! I had forgotten about that. Not fun to listen to at all !

Both the 949 and 959 were very popular radios for a time, I remember lots of folks having them.

Both the 949 and 959 were very popular radios for a time, I remember lots of folks having them.
I repaired and aligned these ones recently. I got them for a steal, because they had been attacked with the golden screwdriver from hell (broken and completely missing slugs, the works!). Whoever did this must have taken them out of the box, watched an "all the way" video and then proceeded to destroy them. Then they must have realized they didn't work anymore, so put them back in the boxes. They still had the plastic protection on the cases. :)

My 979 is more stable than the 959. The 979 has a slightly nicer 2-tone waveform and nicer AM mod on the scope. Similar performance otherwise but I would choose the 979 overall (which is similar in many ways to my DX86V which I also like). I got the 86V new, but it also needed a LOT of work to straighten it out. It's fun radio though.

"Friends don't let friends buy Rangers" - unless they have a bench full of test gear to sort them out. hihi

Attachments

• 959.png
    959.png
    3 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I repaired and aligned these ones recently. I got them for a steal, because they had been attacked with the golden screwdriver from hell (broken and completely missing slugs, the works!). Whoever did this must have taken them out of the box, watched an "all the way" video and then proceeded to destroy them. Then they must have realized they didn't work anymore, so put them back in the boxes. They still had the plastic protection on the cases. :)

My 979 is more stable than the 959. The 979 has a slightly nicer 2-tone waveform and nicer AM mod on the scope. Similar performance otherwise but I would choose the 979 overall (which is similar in many ways to my DX86V which I also like). I got the 86V new, but it also needed a LOT of work to straighten it out. It's fun radio though.

"Friends don't let friends by Rangers" - unless they have a bench full of test gear to sort them out. hihi
"Friends, don't let friends buy Ranger built radios." Copyright 2022 By SuperLid Enterprises LLC USA

Last edited:
Drifting radios, heard many. Called out and asked what model the operator was on. Got the response asking how I knew it was a galaxy... It Drifts...

• Haha
Reactions: Pez and BC Coyote
Yeah, I miss mine. It was stolen by a mutant from LaBelle, FL several years ago. I've thought about getting another, but don't really want a mobile 11M only rig at the moment. I used the one I had in the shop and it was on all the time. I let the scum borrow it. It's the last loner I EVER lent-out while working on their radio. Never again.
I did recover SOME of the loss by selling his 3600 after I fixed it.

a tech went through my new 959b, i was new to ssb. he fixed the awful high pitch noise, there is no drift (winter, summer, or long qso), and it swings lots. doesn't get hot on long qso like the chopped 86v i got from ebay that he also worked on. useless freq counter imo. several options to reduce rx bacon from the factory. will never buy another, but it is still doing good in the car after a year

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.