• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What does everyone think about the Galaxy dx-959

My 979 is more stable than the 959. The 979 has a slightly nicer 2-tone waveform and nicer AM mod on the scope. Similar performance otherwise but I would choose the 979 overall (which is similar in many ways to my DX86V which I also like). I got the 86V new, but it also needed a LOT of work to straighten it out. It's fun radio though.
I bought 2 of those 979s because of the external freq. counter connection on the back of them which I use. I like the sound of them when dialed in on freq. but don't hear much about them and wonder how many Mods are available for them and are they very mod friendly?

I bought 2 of those 979s because of the external freq. counter connection on the back of them which I use. I like the sound of them when dialed in on freq. but don't hear much about them and wonder how many Mods are available for them and are they very mod friendly?
They are all mostly based on the same Ranger PCB's and circuits that have been around for decades, so mods exist for just about everything...
Personally, the only things I like to do them is a good alignment, and an unlocked clarifier (for controlling the inevitable Ranger SSB drift). And sometimes, I like to add a mild hi-cut filter to tame the RX hisssssssssssssssss.

I've got a couple of the Texas ranger 797's which is exactly the same inside, used one several times throughout last fall dx. Not bad once you get the frequency aligned, made several contacts with it.

They are all mostly based on the same Ranger PCB's and circuits that have been around for decades, so mods exist for just about everything...
Personally, the only things I like to do them is a good alignment, and an unlocked clarifier (for controlling the inevitable Ranger SSB drift). And sometimes, I like to add a mild hi-cut filter to tame the RX hisssssssssssssssss.
The only 2 mods I would really like to do is unlock the clarifier and maybe add the extra channels. The radios aren't real drift y in the summer time and as long as I have the external freq counters it is easy to deal with. If I get some of my other work caught up I might try the unlock myself but I can't get pressured in a hurry. I have the instructional videos stored on my computer but welding is more up my alley then soldering. My manual dexterity leaves something to be desired and I will admit it. I always said I was better with a crow bar and BFH ! LOL

Closely related to the dx 2517 that I run at home. I really like them, good radios. To bad the cost of them has went up so much, all of those through hole components are getting more expensive.
I wish i could get more clarifier range out of one but other than that they are a favorite of mine.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I run a galaxy dx959 in my Silverado, paired with a ranger mic, small RM box and 102" ss whip. I get great reports on am and ssb and talk skip regularly on it while out. Got some drift, but very tolerable on SSB and unnoticeable on am.

Opinion:
The frequency counter is worthless since it's only 5 digit and only a single band radio (unless modded?). I may be overlooking any pros of the counter. The Rx can be a little harsh at times. IMHO, they can be great talkers when aligned properly and are worth consideration.

Opinion:
The frequency counter is worthless since it's only 5 digit
I agree that is why I bought 979s because I could add the 6 digit freq. counters for quick adjustments because of galaxy's reputation. I'm no expert or seasoned pro but i can tolerate a little drift but I do wish the clarifiers were unlocked. Good things take time !

Reactions: Cable Guy
47 or 100uf cap mounted on the speaker lugs in parallel with the speaker.

That will do it (a note to anyone doing this: make sure you use caps suitable to handle the speaker volume levels (peak voltages) if you put them directly across the speaker). I like to add my filter cap across the input to the audio amp, but either way you go, it will help a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cable Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Bueller?
  • @ flying turtle herder:
    Hello out there. F15 crustyrudder here with a tech question: im working on a BK1040 svcmstr. im trying to find the value of R98. ive downloaded scrams and not even found the R98. if someone could help me with this issue id appreciate it.
  • @ LinCB:
    New to the hobby here. Just hoping to fall into a new rabbit hole. Hi.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EDST (y)