• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

What effective DSP units with or without speakers are available out there

unit_399

EL CAPO
Jun 17, 2008
ALEJANDRIA, COLOMBIA SA
So many of the new 10 meter exports from ANYTONE and others have excellent digital noise reduction built-in. My 139XLR has no noise reduction on SSb. ANL and NB are functiional on AM only. Besides ANL/NB is pretty useless at reducing static without reducing audio content too. What are some of the really effective DSP units out there ?? I know there are speakers with built-in DSP units. Can you guys list what is available ?? I tried a google search and an Amazon search and found zilch.

- J.J. 399

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

West Mountain Radio CLRSpeaker is highly recommended by many....

So many of the new 10 meter exports from ANYTONE and others have excellent digital noise reduction built-in. My 139XLR has no noise reduction on SSb. ANL and NB are functiional on AM only. Besides ANL/NB is pretty useless at reducing static without reducing audio content too. What are some of the really effective DSP units out there ?? I know there are speakers with built-in DSP units. Can you guys list what is available ?? I tried a google search and an Amazon search and found zilch.

- J.J. 399
I have several outboard DSP units. The best of them is the Timewave DSP-599ZX. I have a ClearSpeech with speaker by Am-comm. I believe it is marketed by West Mountain Radio now.

Reactions: unit_399
View attachment 69505View attachment 69506

This is what I have hooked up with my Ranger 2995 base set up and it works great on clearing up the hash on SSB for me, obviously they are no longer made any more but you can find them on eBay.

Of the several outboard ADSP units I have, the RS DSP-40 is by far the worst. It is somewhat useable on CW, and auto notch, but that's it.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Midland has a neat little speaker that I have been looking at.

Midland- SPK200 Heavy-Duty 20W Amplified External Speaker - AI Noise Cancelation 180 Degrees Swivel Base Works CB and MXT Radios 8-OHM Sound System 3.5mm Audio Plug - Waterproof Design

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCY7W45J?tag=worradfor-20
I had eyeballed that too a while back but found very little in reviews or how it actually works. I found a few videos of guys that were clueless as to what they were doing but giving reviews.
One so ridiculous, the guy installed it, drove down the road with the windows down and said he could tell it brought down the wind/road noise while he listened :ROFLMAO:. That was enough tube for me that day....

Back to the speaker.
It started to seem like it's a speaker with a capacitor across the terminals to cut down hiss but that's just going from the little I found.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
I have not set up the stuff yet. I picked up a old Realistic Equalizer to put inline with the old stereo set to run the audio output through it try to clean up my incoming audio before it hits the speaker. Granted old school and garage sale, but still have my Realistic AM/FM amp and 50 watt speakers from 1987. Saved for the Saturdays when I have too much Captain and Coke and play Eye of the Tiger on 45 RPM single about 20 times. Worth a try to clean up the incoming receive audio.

I have not set up the stuff yet. I picked up a old Realistic Equalizer to put inline with the old stereo set to run the audio output through it try to clean up my incoming audio before it hits the speaker. Granted old school and garage sale, but still have my Realistic AM/FM amp and 50 watt speakers from 1987. Saved for the Saturdays when I have too much Captain and Coke and play Eye of the Tiger on 45 RPM single about 20 times. Worth a try to clean up the incoming receive audio.
Secret squirrel -

I have been running a graphic EQ to cleanup my receive audio for some time. I split the AM/SSb detector output and the audio amp input and connected them to a pair of RCA jacks on the rear panel of my 139XLR. Ran the detector output thru my compander (configured as a noise gate) followed by the EQ. Sent the EQ output into the audio amp input. Setup the EQ up as a 400HZ to 2200hz bandpass filter.
Very effective at boosting those weak signals and rolling off the noise. The detector output is basically line out level which is easier for the compander and EQ to deal with. Connecting the Compander and the EQ between the detector out and the audio amp functions in the same way as the tape monitor on a stereo

- J.J. 399

Last edited:
All the incumbents have been milking the community for years selling DSP units. Just like what the Big 3 have done with radios, the Chinese came in and provided cheaper options. Same with DSP units. I've seen cheaper options on eBay that I would consider. I have a BHI speaker that I like but would never pay what they are asking for these days.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.