• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

What is causing this cap to heat up ??

The only thing changing that resistor does, is decrease the current and dissipation on the zener diode. It cannot change the voltage at the electrolytic capacitor however, it can stop that diode from heating the capacitor if they are close together. With the 68 ohm resistor, the zener diode is dissipating 700 milliwatts. The 150 Ohm resistor reduces this to 280 milliwatts, a significant reduction in heat.

This is the worst case no load condition on the output of the regulated zener diode. The interesting thing with this type of power supply is as you load the supply, the more current you draw, the less current flows through the zener diode and reduces the heat. The resistor basically controls the maximum amount of output current that can be supplied, while still maintaining regulation across the zener diode.

UPDATE: Problem solved !!

I opened up my 139XLR and removed R113. When I measured its value I found it to be 68.1 ohms. I replaced it with the 150 Ohm R113 that I removed from an 858SSb parts board, and now C101 is cool as a cucumber.
Great news! I'm glad you can just rock back and enjoy that thing now!!!!

Reactions: unit_399
Hey 399!

this seems like a great thread to post a few pics of that heavily modified 139xlr!

i know myself and at least a few others here would get a real kick out of seeing the radio that belongs to the king of 858 mods!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.