• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Click here to find out how to win free radios from Retevis!

Winter Project or Scrap? Bandit 2000A Amp

On another note, I have one Cetron 572B that was pulled out of an FL-2100 and never had its anode cap correctly soldered. It's essentially brand new while it's neighbor suffered a very punishing life doing the work of two tubes. Anytime I've tried to get it to play nicely with a partner, it's tried to hog the majority of the work and cherries its plate red before its partners. I mentioned this in case someone has one brand new Cetron, I may have your match...

The Cetron 572B is made so it can be used horizontally as long as pins 1 and 4 are in the vertical plane. RCA tube manual says this rule applies equally to the 811A, since the filament and grid are the same. The filament wire is suspended in the shape of the letter "W". Naturally it will sag somewhat as it gets hot enough to light up. So long as the sag doesn't move it closer to the grid wires, no problem. Keeping the "W" in the vertical plane keeps any slack from touching the grid wires.

Mohawk linears were built with the 572B tubes turned 90 degrees the wrong way. Rather than drill out rivets, turn the tube sockets a quarter turn and fix the problem that way I just recommended turning it on its side. This stood the tubes vertically and solved the filament-sag problem. Cheaper fix.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.