• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

1/3 the weight, 1/3 the cost. Work?

bhayles

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jul 2, 2014
mountains of N Georgia
juicymaters.com
I'm just beginning to learn about Ham, HF, antennas and such. I'm also poor as a church mouse and always looking for ways to do things frugally...inexpensive but not cheap.

I'm going to start building this antenna tomorrow...

MULTI BAND HF FAN DIPOLE ANTENNA DESIGN

...and I have a question or two.

First, can I use either of the following rather than 14 ga copper stranded wire? I know the strength is OK as I have used both for livestock in the past and the stuff is STRONG...but will it perform well as radials for the above antenna, or ANY antenna for that matter?

As the thread header says, the stuff is about 1/4 to 1/3 the weight of stranded copper, and it costs about a third to a half as much.

XL Aluminum Wire - Gallagher Permanent electric fencing components

3/32" Turbo Wire - Gallagher Portable electric fencing components

Now I have forgotten my second question. I'll be back when I remember it...:D

From Eham:

The aluminum electric fence wire is cheap, but you have to make
sure you have sealed the joints carefully. (Aluminum oxide is an
insulator.) A bit of Ox-Gard or similar antioxident is a good idea
on any joint.

From Eham:

The aluminum electric fence wire is cheap, but you have to make
sure you have sealed the joints carefully. (Aluminum oxide is an
insulator.) A bit of Ox-Gard or similar antioxident is a good idea
on any joint.

Thanks...just added Ox Gard to my Amazon shopping list.

Now...are the radials as efficient as copper when using 12.5 ga aluminum?

Don't put aluminium wire in the ground, it will dissolve to white powder in a year's time.

Make sure the alu wire doesn't bend too much, it breaks faster as copper as well.
Used the stuff for the helically wound 160 meter vertical years back...

Yeah...I'm looking forward to it too...I HATE typing!...:D

It may be on whatever I'm allowed to do on 2m/70cm...the frequency/wavelength/Mhrtz stuff is giving me fits. I'm good to go on the electrical, but the radio stuff is whipping my butt.

BH: Stay with it, don't let it beat you down....WE were all there at some point and understand.
Stay with it every night until the test...Leave an hour or so every night for a practice test or(2) and then go back and look over what you missed.
Leave that time to itself, nothing but your test material...
You can do it!
We are here to help, but focus is everything
All the Best
Gary

X2

Now go pass the test and get on the air, I am looking forward to talking to you on the air.

I likewise look forward to working "op's" New and Old, be a pleasure to put you in the log(y)

W9CLL: I'll be up in your neck of the woods this weekend...going to try and spend a little time "In the Air" You hang out anywhere special?

From Eham:

..., but you have to make sure you have sealed the joints carefully. (Aluminum oxide is an insulator.) .

Alum will form that layer the INSTANT it is exposed to the air.

that is why it is welded inside an INERT gas envelope (Argon).

... it costs about a third to a half as much.

XL Aluminum Wire - Gallagher Permanent electric fencing components

3/32" Turbo Wire - Gallagher Portable electric fencing components

Now I have forgotten my second question. I'll be back when I remember it...:D

this stuff is even cheaper,............. Electric Fence Wire

fan di-poles can be a real PAIN to handle, they like to get all twisted up as you move them around.:censored:

I would use flexible copper wire (stranded).

hit the flea markets/ swap meets , ect.

is there a metal scrap yard near you?

this stuff is even cheaper,............. Electric Fence Wire

I had looked at the tape binrat mentioned, but it is almost twice as expensive as the 14 ga stranded copper.

The link you gave me, however, led me to this:

Electric Fencing, Wire Fencing, High Tensile | Agri Supply, 11278, Electric Fenc

It gives me 1/2 mile for the same money as 500 ft of 14 ga stranded copper...but will my antenna perform as well as one with stranded copper, all other things being equal?

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.