• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 meter to a 6 meter.

Well that sounds fine, you have my permission. All you need to do is figure out how to scale the 11 meter to 6 meters.

What antenna do you plan to use?

A Penetrator? Don't do that. Just build one from scratch and keep that fine antenna in the CB band. Besides, you will have issues with the hairpin match. Just shortening the main radiator and ground radials won't get it done unless you figure out how to shorten the hairpin.

To answer your question, the I-10K was scaled down and made to work in the low VHF range. I can't be sure, but I believe a state wide police agency is using it......but I could be mistaken.

Master Chief is right. You could probably sell that Penetrator on ebay for a $100-$200, maybe more if it is in good shape and it is all there. He is also right the wire matcher is designed for 11 meters and probably won't work good for 6 meters.

Find a scaling routine on the Internet and figure what a 1/4 would be for 6 meters and get some measurements. For a few dollars you could use the idea described below and you won't have to design a matcher.

I used a L-bracket mirror mount for the radiator and a GP hub from an A99 for the radials. The other tubing is for the coax to run thru. This will shield the coax from the GP radials if I use the slanted down elements. When these are slanted horizontal they don't radiate much if any and you won't need the extra tubing. The radials are slanted down at about 45 degrees it will help you a little to get the match closer to 50 ohms, but then they start to radiate a bit and the shield to the coax will be helpful.

Keep us posted.

datsun66 said:
Has anyone ever converted a 10 meter omni base antenna to a 6 meter base antenna?
I think it would make a wicked 6 meter base, any ideas.
^)(

No but I did take an old Wilson Shooting Star and turned it into a six element 6m beam that works extremely well.All elements are horizontal yagi type with a hairpin match.

Actually, it often is easier to build from scratch than convert from another band.

What do you plan to do with this antenna? Repeaters and simplex FM, or DX?

Most DX activity on 6 is either CW or SSB--and both are normally done with Horizontal polarization. A 3 or 4 element beam is usually a good choice-- on 6 they are fairly small and easy to rotate. They can be easy to build, too:

http://www.shelbrook.com/~ve7ca/AntA6m.htm

FM (repeaters and simplex) and the small amount of packet on 6 typically use vertical polarization.

If you don't mind instructions from a guy who drives on the wrong side of the road and mixes inch and metric measurements, this is a pretty easy antenna to build:

http://www.uksmg.org/vertical.htm

I used one of these antennas for several years on 6. It does very well on all the local repeaters, and about five years ago I made a 75 mile simplex QSO during Field Day using 10 watts( the guy on the other end had a 1/4 wave vertical).

I have since dismantled it and used the tubing for other projects.

The bottom loading coil can be wound on a piece of broomstick, and tuned for low SWR. Or, better yet, use an antenna analyzer if you can find one for 6 meters. The tubing is standard size and easy to find at hardware stores.

Dave_W6DPS

It hasn't got anything to do with economy (if you can get that much for the antenna, sell it!), but don't scrap the matching network till you try it. It's certainly possible that it will work on 6 meters with just a little judicious trimming of the antenna. It doesn't always work that way, but the 'matching' for 6 shouldn't be all that far from the required matching for 11 meters, some times, sort of.
I haven't checked lately, but 6 meters just wasn't all that 'practical' around here for a while. Lots of potential cause of interference (potential @#$%, certain!) because of the 'wireless' cable company's 'competence'. Never did much there...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.