• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102 question, not typical...

steved

Feb 4, 2008
I was doing some reading on this forum regarding the 102" whip, and someone made mention that MJF/MFJ (not sure which it is now) makes a solid whip, as opposed to a "hollow" whip.

The hollow/solid reference was in context to the amount of flex the antenna has. I'm assuming it has to do more with metallurgy than hollow/not hollow...and the whips are just stiffer?

I have a very limber (but solid-cored) RatShack 102". For those that have used them, are the MJF antenna stiffer than a typical 102? I'd like to get a 102 that's as stiff as the top section of a FatBoy antenna...to reduce sway.

Anyone know of a source for a stiffer than average 102"?

I say don't worry about the whip moving.

I've used them for years, the resiliency of the whip and durability is one of the big advantages.

I've had no appreciable performance issues with the whip moving around while mobile and vs a Wilson 1000 that I through-hole mounted and also used for years, the performance is excellent. You just have to be sure you have solid grounding.

Also, a lot of people don't use a heavy enough spring to support a 102" whip and I think that is a lot of what people are always yapping about with the whips 'almost hitting the car behind them' when they accelerate etc.

Put one of these under that whip, mount it up as high on the body as possible for your application so the ground is as much under the antenna as you can make it and you will be all set.

http://www.bellscb.com/products/antennas/Hustler/Hustler_SSM-1_ball_and_spring_kit.htm

No affiliation or any idea about the vendor, they just had a good pic of what I have installed on my Jeep.

Oh and another nice thing with a big whip, if you stick a tuner in line, they are much more efficiently broad banded than tuning something with a loading coil out of band. Very durable and versatile antenna if you can ignore them clanging on tree branches and bank drive throughs.

For fear of getting in trouble over another picture...I have no spring, heard too many bad things about them...

IMG_1973.jpg

It is a solid mount...and adjustable.

Looks real good, you're all set with that. Spring is more needed if the mount can't take the torque from hitting something.

That should do the trick.

Good move on the ground strap/cable to the body if that is what that is.

steve i saw that on another forum and commemted on it . that is such a simple and effective idea and beats the hell (price wise) out of those $60+ adaptors/spacers that ive seen . it seems that true stainless steel springs are hard to come by and fairly expensive when/if you find them . thats a great option for a poor cb'er (like myself) .

Thanks for the comments...this wasn't my idea, it was suggested to me on another forum (that has since booted me with no explanation)...so I can't accept this as my idea, I just implemented it.

The only downfall is that the all-thread is regular steel...so it needs to be painted once you get the SWR set...

Another option is a Wilson antenna "stud"...they come in a 6-inch length and are stainless. But they are also a fixed length...

Through trial and error, I was able to adjust the SWR to an almost flat 1:1 on all 40 channels. Took me three tries (three different lengths) to get it right...the final length was about twice as tall as this one.

I highly recommend doing this in place of the spring. I don't think the spring is needed unless you mount the antenna on a roof or other high point. For example, where it is on my toolbox, the antenna has enough flex to lay clear down to the bed...

the wilson trucker shafts come in 5-10-22 and i think 18 inches . probally easier to go longer on the shaft/all-thread and clip the 102/stinger to length . ive got a wilson short whip 2000 on a 18 inch (i think) shaft in the closet......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.