• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" stainless whip

damn that lou franklin!

lied to me again! LOL

so, you're saying its not because the fiberglass whip has a copper wire in it, and electricity moves through stainless steel and copper at different speeds?
LC

Exactly, just try mounting that 96'' copper whip and see if it tunes anywhere remotely near 27 mhz and copper being as malleable as it is there is only one reason for the fiberglass skin. Can you say support?

And as far as I know rf energy flows on the outer surface of these metals.

dont forget mack that while an uninsulated wire does not have a noticeable velocity factor; insulated wire does.

while the purpose of the fiberglass is to hold the copper wire up, it is also an insulator, thus introducing the velocity factor.

the last time i used a fiberglass 1/4 wave whip was about 19 years ago, but i think i remember using the barrel spring and ball mount and got a 1.5 SWR.

LC

dont forget mack that while an uninsulated wire does not have a noticeable velocity factor; insulated wire does.

while the purpose of the fiberglass is to hold the copper wire up, it is also an insulator, thus introducing the velocity factor.

the last time i used a fiberglass 1/4 wave whip was about 19 years ago, but i think i remember using the barrel spring and ball mount and got a 1.5 SWR.

LC
Next question is where does one purchase said 96'' whip?

1. Fiberglass has a velocity factor because it's an insulator.
2. Uninsulated, bare wire doesn't have a noticeable velocity factor.
3. So any velocity factor associated with a fiberglass antenna is because of the fiberglass.
That's amazing. Totally wrong, but still amazing. I'd ask where that came from, but I'm not too sure I wanna know.
- 'Doc

Last edited:
As far as I remember, the glass whip is shorter because it needs the spring for absorbing shock and to help protect the antenna from the stresses of high velocity wind, etc., whereas the ss whip is longer because it doesnt need the spring as it is strong and springy all by itself. Of course, I could be wrong. Again.LOL.

I'm sure someone will debate this, but if I remember correctly, the 96" fiberglass and the 102" steel have the same amont of wire just like the 48" fiberglass and other variations of fiberglass and coil loaded antenna. The fiberglass can coil the wire around the inner shaft to get the same length in a shorter package ... My preference in the Wilson Silverload 60" fiberglass...not too short and not too tall with good power handling.

I'm sure someone will debate this, but if I remember correctly, the 96" fiberglass and the 102" steel have the same amont of wire just like the 48" fiberglass and other variations of fiberglass and coil loaded antenna. The fiberglass can coil the wire around the inner shaft to get the same length in a shorter package ... My preference in the Wilson Silverload 60" fiberglass...not too short and not too tall with good power handling.

Tell you what you do then, mount the 102 then put the 96 on the same mount and post your results.

I'm sure someone will debate this, but if I remember correctly, the 96" fiberglass and the 102" steel have the same amont of wire
If you removed the coiled wire from 96" fiberglass antenna and stretched it out, it's electically the same length as the 102" AFAIK.

The length of the wire used to wind that helically wound antenna has nothing to do with it being a resonant 1/4 w, 1/2 w, 5/8 w, or any other particular electrical length. The number of turns and their diameter and distance apart has everything to do with the amount of inductive reactance which is required to make that antenna resonant. [Know how to figure the circumference of a circle? Do it with the coils making up that 96 inch antenna. I think you'll find that it isn't just 102 inches long. Circumference of one coil times the total number of coils will give you a close ball-park number for it's length of wire.] Do that for the other kinds of 'coil' antennas of whatever length, see what it comes out as. It just doesn't work that way.
Take a look at a loaded antenna for 80 meters, for instance. If you unwind that coil and add the length of the mast and whip, there's just no way it's ever going to be 60 something feet long (1/4 w). If it were just the amount of wire used to make that coil, most loaded 80 meter antennas would be a humongus bunch larger than what they are.
- 'Doc

I beg to differ. I had read elsewhere on this site that mosfets don't like swr higher than 1.5 and it would explain why so many jackson 2's blowup as very few magmounts have an swr of less than that although if I read a lie then I am writing one.

Jackson 2's blowing the final up has nothing to do with swr,its because mosfets are sensitive to static and there was a design flaw that didn't incorporate a bleed resistor to drain off static.

many decent magmounts have swr below 1.5:1.

There's no coiled wire in the 96" fiberglass whip.

It's a straight piece of copper.

-Richard-

the reason a fibreglass whip is shorter than a steel one is due to the velocity factor of the conductor caused by the medium surrounding the conductor (air on the steel whip,fibreglass on the fibreglass whip),both steel and copper have much the same velocity factor in air,but when you surround them in fibreglass the signal propagation is slowed,its exactly the same reason solid polyethylene dielectric in coax slows signal propagation down more than foam dielectric,

i would imagine due to the signal travelling mainly on the conductor surface due to the skin effect and the dielectric causing friction,which would explain why teflon dielectric has the fastest of all velocity factors in coax.I may be wrong though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.