• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

102" Whip mounting help

wolf

Dec 20, 2009
East Central Illinois
I am thinking about getting a 102" whip, before i do were is the best place to mount it so it won't be directional. It will be going on a 88 Chevy pickup. I was thinking about the bumper on the passenger side were i had a 8' Shakespeare fiberglass antenna :confused:

Hi Wolf,

A corner bumper mount will make it the MOST directional. The best possible pattern for omni on a vehicle is to put it in the center. Many guys will put one up on the front center of the bed rail right behind the cab. Mine (102) is on the right side front corner of the bed rail. Of course the center of top cap won't work as these antennas are too long and heavy to put there. It can be done if you live out in the open country and never encounter stuff that you would hit with the thing.

Also keep in mind that you'll probably have to extend the whip with something to make it a bit longer. Some can get away with a 4" heavy duty type fat barrel spring....which adds 4"...duh. I needed even more length on my installation and had to use a 6" shaft extension to make it resonant (have no SWR's) across 11 meters.

Good luck!

I have mine located right behind the cab of my Toyota Tacoma. I'm using a 6" H/D Military spring mounted on my utility rack. The lip of the bed would work with a mounting bracket too. I flip-flop between the Predator 10K & whip.

10K.JPG

Reactions: BlueArmidillo
If you put a 102" whip where you have an antenna now it will be no more directional than what you have now. Any antenna mounted at a 'corner' of a vehicle is going to be a -little- directional, but not near as much as people usually think. It's never going to be a 'beam' in any sense of the word.
I seriously doubt if you will see a huge difference from what your present antenna is doing performance wise. Some, sure, maybe, but don't expect miracles. :)
- 'Doc

center of the roof is usually the most omni mounting location for vehicles .

given thet most studmounts are 1 inch or so tall using the 5 inch shaft from a wilson trucker antenna will get you too 108 inches and should be close swr wise .

best mounting location

Right in the middle of the roof. Second choice, right in the middle of an aluminum toolbox lid bolted into the bed with braided ground strap grounding bed to frame and body.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.