• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m base and mobile amp

neubauej

Dec 10, 2009
Hi all.

Nice place y'all have here!

I am looking for a good amplifier to use on 10m only. Roughly a clean 100ish watts deadkey. My attempt here is to use either am only, or sideband to cover about 35-40 miles from the base (nonexistant phone service). I am currently using a cobra 200 gtl as a base on a homebrew vertical dipole with a ratshack 19a supply, and in the mobile I am using a galaxy dx99v on a 108" whip. Terrain is relatively flat.

I currently get about 10-15 miles tops.

Any good suggestions? I dont want to spatter, and I aint rich 'neither...

Thanks!

~Joe

Are you a Ham to be using 10 meters in the fist place.
You didn't say...

I am for homebrew antennas. but just maybe yours isn't up to snuff. I'm sure you must have tested the base's signal output while in your mobile and had another person talking on your base radio - right? Is it up high enough? Decent SWR match? Just guessing here - as I'm not sure why you feel that a linear will solve the problem.

I can talk many miles in the boonies with a Galaxy 99v and a Wilson 1000 in my mobile w/o a linear. Your 102 inch steel whip should work as well or better than mine. Sideband is generally easier to work greater distances than AM.

Howabout some more details - please?

General Class ham here, yes.

Output is awesome for ten to 15 miles. I have my other half talking to me daily on the base... swr match is 1.3 or so.

I am not sure a linear will solve the problem either... I have considered an Imax 2000 or similar with ground plane kit. I just need to get out that far is all. I have no desire to hammer the channel, just call home from work.

What more details would help?

I run an IMAX on 10 meters.
I use it with 25 ft of masting on top of a 8 ft flat top garage without the ground plane kit.
It works outstanding for an antenna that takes less than three minutes to put together right out of the box.

How high up is the antenna - from the ground surface to the feedpoint - that you are using now?

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

The feedpoint is only 12ish feet off the ground...
Could well be the problem...too low...
Can you get it up to 30 ft?
Forty ft would be outstanding.

A 5/8 wave - like the IMAX - will be an excellent choice for 10 meters if you don't want to stay with the vertical dipole.
Palco Electronics sells them for ~$95 & $20 shipping.
That's where I got mine.
But I would definitely raise what you have up some more - first.
You might find it that what you have is working.

So if the wife is licensed to use 10 meters, and your looking for reliable communications, why not consider 2 meters? Unless in the unlikely instance you don't have repeater access.

If the wife is not licensed, or for whatever reason 2 meters is not feasible definitely improve the base antenna. The Imax or similar and a mobile with the whip in relatively flat terrain, without major obstructions should do double what your currently doing with relative ease.

If your looking for a cheap fix Rob's advise on the dipole is definitely sound and will give you improvement.

She is or she wouldn't be on 10m either...

2m sounds great and all, but I already have the 10m equipment leftover from my trucking days.

That, and for some reason, I would rather not rely on a repeater... I kinda like the idea of not relying on someone elses equipment.

Thanks though!

Another consideration, while not currently an issue, in the future if this sunspot cycle ever gets in gear, 10, and 11 meters is something I would certainly not want to rely on.

Once we get closer to the peak 10 is most likely going to get rough for local comm.

Get that antenna up as high as you can, that will far more than a small amp.If your wife is a general too, then you can go above 28.700 to about 900 and not be bothered at all.
Rich

From what has been posted I would have to say you need to get the antenna higher off the ground on the base.

running ssb 30 to 50 miles is not uncommon base to mobile with under 100 watts .

Hi all.

Nice place y'all have here!

I am looking for a good amplifier to use on 10m only. Roughly a clean 100ish watts deadkey. My attempt here is to use either am only, or sideband to cover about 35-40 miles from the base (nonexistant phone service). I am currently using a cobra 200 gtl as a base on a homebrew vertical dipole with a ratshack 19a supply, and in the mobile I am using a galaxy dx99v on a 108" whip. Terrain is relatively flat.

I currently get about 10-15 miles tops.

Any good suggestions? I dont want to spatter, and I aint rich 'neither...

Thanks!

~Joe

I am curious about your location..... you mentioned that there is no phone and its pretty flat.
Are you up north?

Thanks for your help guys!

I ordered an Imax and am going to mount it on a small tower with the feedpoint at about 40 ft.

I am in northern Wisconsin. Near Barnes...

Thanks for your help guys!

I ordered an Imax and am going to mount it on a small tower with the feedpoint at about 40 ft.

I am in northern Wisconsin. Near Barnes...
That ought to work quite well.

Since I have a farm in NW Iowa; you might consider putting a ground system for you antenna and base station. Doesn't cost much in terms of time, expense, and labor. But it would be wise to include one - due to the lightning threat that exists in this region. That is, if you don't already have one. You might need to use two rods insead of one. Tie them together and bury the cable between them a foot deep or so ten feet apart.

The links have some decent info:
http://www.worldwidedx.com/tech-repair/39894-how-ground-citizens-band-radio.html
http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/38299-no-ground.html

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.