• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter dipole problems

Sounds like you are on the right track. I agree with Doc too.

Don't give up now; you are closing in on it. Shorten it by 1 inch on both sides - change it equally. Don't cut anything; just re-fold it on the ends - that way you can change it back a little if you have to. Re-calibrate. Re-test. Repeat. You're almost there!!!!!!

Last edited:
If it is still 9' long on each side it is too long, too.

I agree that the dipole needs to be tighter, flattened out horizontally, or the middle higher than the ends.
Sir, is 16' +_ are 8' per side, the right length? 108"is 9' are 1/4 wave. what is the problem with the 108? Thank you.

Not to steal the thread. I have A DIY, 3 element 11-meter antenna. DR is 16' +- is that wrong? Also is 18' a good height with 18' of co-ax? to check the antenna out.
Thank you sir.

• Haha
Reactions: groundwire
Not to steal the thread. I have A DIY, 3 element 11-meter antenna. DR is 16' +- is that wrong? Also is 18' a good height with 18' of co-ax? to check the antenna out.
Thank you sir.
Sir, is 16' +_ are 8' per side, the right length? 108"is 9' are 1/4 wave. what is the problem with the 108? Thank you.

Coax length is not important in this case. Don't fall for the old CB myth that your coax needs to be some certain length.

468/Freq in MHz= half-wavelength dipole

234/Freq in MHz= one half or "pole" of half-wavelength dipole

Those formulas will always leave your wire longer than necessary to allow trimming for tuning to resonance or low VSWR, whichever blows your skirt up.

Reactions: Crawdad
I averaged 8 different measurements for a 27 mhz. 3 element beam, results.
R=18.15' //// DE=17.19'////D=16.19' - I used the above chart ad using 27.5 mhz. came out with these R=18.22'////DE=17.2'////D=16.18'. This chart comes out to close to the averages I figured. I may change mine to - R=18.20 ///DE=17.2
D=16.2 --- I have been out for many years just trying to catch back up. Thanks.

Screenshot_20230802_234109_Antenna Tool-01.jpeg
The problem with the 108" is it's too long.
Also, if it is a yagi you're building the driven element length is affected by the parasitic elements on the boom with it, their diameters, the spacing between, and proximity to the earth, and other influential structures nearby.
Some of these same things can affect a simple dipole, too. As for 9' being a 1/4ʎ, it is if your center frequency is around 26mhz.

Screenshot_20230802_235500_Antenna Tool-01.jpeg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.