• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

My point was that true north/south propagation occurs with TE....or Trans-Equatorial propagation, and really does run pretty much due north and south. Gray line can happen between any two stations located on what is called the terminator......which is the band of twilight around the Earth. Gray line has happened from near the antipodes quite often and that is definitely not a simple north/south path. In the link below contacts are possible between eastern Brazil and Japan via gray line or even eastern Brazil and New Zealand......definately not N/S.

greyline-europes.jpg

http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/qsl-propa5.htm
Now, that's what I was wondering! So, it's the gray line continued all the way around the globe, then. Which means that it doesn't have to be sunset to sunset stations or sunrise to sunrise stations. It can be sunrise for one and sunset for the other and still work! That is interesting, for sure! Thanks!

I have had the Pacific coming into Ky pretty good lately around 6 to 9 or 10 pm est. Lots of TE from South America as well. A few stations in South Africa but not real strong. Key is to just listen lol.

Good evening, just fired up the Ranger and thought I would give a shout out on .385 LSB, absolutely nothing with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 station's coming in very faint,will be glad when the DX comes back,I believe someone had mentioned that a G4 solar storm hit the earth a few days ago and kinda squashed the DX propagation........I imagine that it might take a few days or weeks to get back to normal maybe???????

73's

Reactions: Eldorado828

Not trying to bust your chops or anything. Seriously.......not. I have no idea how long you have been in radio or what bands you have experience with but I am just sharing my experiences having been in radio since the age of 14. I'll be 60 this summer. That's 46 years of experience starting with 11m and with all MF/HF bands and a couple VHF bands for the last 35 years. I worked in commercial broadcasting for 22 years and and MF/VHF propagation was an every day thing for us in the engineering department.

So, in a conversation, I was told that folks on this forum love pictures of things. I mentioned earlier that I fabricated my own ground plane for my A99 antenna. He said I should post a picture of it. Since the bottom dropped out of the DX right when I finished it, I haven't been able to give it a good test. All I know so far is that it improved my SWR. It was already pretty good, but now it's 1:1 across all 40 channels. I'm no engineer and haven't a clue about how this stuff actually works. I just tried to replicate the way the manufacturer's GPK looks, using materials and capabilities available to me. So, here it is! Only time will tell if it does anything beyond sitting there looking pretty! Lol.
IMG_20230417_164231270.jpg

I don't know if DX is on the way to being full on again, but today I have made four contacts with spotty conditions. They were all in different areas of the country where I haven't made many contacts previously. It's giving me a better and better feeling about my homebrew ground plane. Is it opening new areas for me? Or just different conditions doing that?

Different ways on different days. But that’s a great indication your home made ground plane is working!

Things are kinda funky on the bands last few days.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. My previous contacts were all different directions but always somewhere in a "ring" ranging from 1000-1400 miles out. The two closest today were more in the 600-750 mile range. Heard some even closer but the conditions were changing so fast I couldn't make contact. I can't wait to see what it will be like when conditions get better! My hopes are high!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.