• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

The sideband channels have become an unbearable wasteland up here for the last few weeks. What is wrong with people !?!? Even 555 has been jammed up all day every day by those idiots up in Springfield Illinois who think it's their 'business' channel ! And the closer we get to Christmas the crazier it's become. I guess everybody with a radio is on vacation, drinking heavily and pissed at the world or something......... It started with 38 and 42 and now the malaise seems to have spread to the entire band from 36 on up.

For now I have given up on sideband during the daytime skip hours and for the first time in more than 30 years I have been hanging on the AM channels below channel 1 and having a blast with my old Cobra 148GTL and a small amp, which combination sounds amazing on AM mode. I get about 30 watts deadkey and swing to around 120 watts or so, which is plenty as I seem to be able to work pretty much anyone I can hear.

It's weird, for the last few skip cycles it seemed like all the goofs were on AM and the good operators were on sideband. Now all of a sudden it seems to have switched around and the sideband channels are where the gong show is. Go figure !

We now return you to your regularly scheduled insanity.........

I've come to believe that there are a lot of people out there that have been fucked over and are too weak to do anything about it. So they resort to standing behind the microphone where they are safe from retribution. Still . . . what goes around comes around and they will get whats due someday. I wish I will be there to see it.

- 399 J.J.

Been having some good conditions here in Western, NC foothills.

My longest DX contact yet beaming east came yesterday. Operator name, Luca, 257 AlphaTango Zero from division 257, Rodriguez Island, in the Indian Ocean. Rodriguez Island is just over 500 miles east of Reunion Island.

Talked to a mobile unit on the Outer Banks of NC...about 322 miles as the crow flies. Had no signal on 2VA601 on the Outer Banks, but I could hear the modulation just fine.

Had my first contact with the Republic of Cape Verde, division 205, a west Africa island country. Talked to 205 AlphaTango 295.

Today, New Years Day was feast or famine.

At one point, the skip on AM 15 and AM 17 was bleeding over badly onto LSB 16. A half hour later, it would be gone...and so would the skip conditions on LSB 16. LSB 38 was the same - with the addition of the idiot who kept playing the Cars' Moving in Stereo every time he heard someone trying to shoot skip.

The skip has been pretty much dead since sundown.

Hmmmmmm. No Russian music for us. Out here, 555 has been occupied every day for months now by those idiots in Springfield Illinois who call it their "business" channel and talk about nothing all day long just to tie up the frequency.

Reactions: Rwb and whiteastro
I don't have much of problem with the simple guys from Springfield , ILL. I just swing the beam to the N.W. and pufff...all gone!
During winter time, my beam rarely goes to the East anyway, so I don't hear much from them.

I heard the CCCP from 50 div back in March of last year, seems not many people in Europe like him. Have heard he run's 2 KW+ - 27.460 usb seems to be where he hangs his hat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb
I just swing the beam to the N.W.
Wish I had room for a beam here. I'm seriously considering taking down some trees to make room, but so far my girlfriend has been less than keen on having a tower in the yard!

I heard the CCCP from 50 div
I've never yet talked to 50 division. 302 division is not uncommon, but the farthest east I've made it is to Poland, Finland and Serbia. Almost but not quite !
One of these days...........

Reactions: Rwb
Wish I had room for a beam here. I'm seriously considering taking down some trees to make room, but so far my girlfriend has been less than keen on having a tower in the yard!

I've never yet talked to 50 division. 302 division is not uncommon, but the farthest east I've made it is to Poland, Finland and Serbia. Almost but not quite !
One of these days...........
You have to buy her something too to help smooth things over. My wife knows when I have my eye on a new radio....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.