• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

I took my Expedition for a short ride today and 35 lsb was coming in fabulous on my Galaxy 979 with no noise and just like they were in the cab with me. I have to get a power circuit run for my KL-200 P and started to wonder if anyone ever put extra channels in that radio. You can say what you want about Galaxy but it seems to impress me with it's clarity more & more. Of coarse I will say we had a 64 degree F, day with the sun shining in the window and that radio was Rock Solid. I got my FC-347 dialed in and enjoyed. That's my Story ! LOL

Conditions were pretty good here on the drive home from work. Pretty much from the east to west with some Canada and Hawaii in the memory log.

Not too shabby for a quad 6 in the mobile.
I laugh because you guys keep talking about the quad 5 & 6 and it's killing me holding back from pulling the trigger. Guess I'll have to Wrap Up my Trigger Finger and ears Really Tight ! LOL

I laugh because you guys keep talking about the quad 5 & 6 and it's killing me holding back from pulling the trigger. Guess I'll have to Wrap Up my Trigger Finger and ears Really Tight ! LOL
Great rigs, leaps and bounds ahead of others at their price point too. You won't regret either. What I find myself missing most in the q6 is the NRC from the q5n2 but still an excellent radio.
If the q5n2 you're after, do it! If it's the q6, I'd wait for the next gen that'll have NRC.
My own opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: whiteastro
Great rigs, leaps and bounds ahead of others at their price point too. You won't regret either. What I find myself missing most in the q6 is the NRC from the q5n2 bust still an excellent radio.
If the q5n2 you're after, do it! If it's the q6, I'd wait for the next gen that'll have NRC.
My own opinions.
I think I would go with the q5n2 as my choice but would have to get rid of some radios and the way the economy is I'd probably take a beating. AM CB has dried up around here. If it wasn't for DX you would hear nothing on AM. I've been experimenting With my President Thomas on FM in the scan mode for 2 days and the only thing that breaks the squelch is when the Stupid Bowl on 6 AM bleeds over. I use to run to Scranton PA and could hear locales chatting on AM and now Nothing not even a radio check.

For it's size the Quad 6 is an amazing radio. I talk DX out of my Toyota daily on mine with just a shitty K-30 magnet mount for an antenna.
I only have two gripes about the Quad 6.......
I find the audio a bit harsh and grating. It has lots of clarity but isn't really pleasant to listen to for long periods. An external speaker makes it sound better but still not great.
And I wish it had a dimmer for the display; it's way too bright for night driving out here in the bush no matter which color I set it to.

For the price point you really can't go wrong with either radio !

I think I would go with the q5n2 as my choice but would have to get rid of some radios and the way the economy is I'd probably take a beating. AM CB has dried up around here. If it wasn't for DX you would hear nothing on AM. I've been experimenting With my President Thomas on FM in the scan mode for 2 days and the only thing that breaks the squelch is when the Stupid Bowl on 6 AM bleeds over. I use to run to Scranton PA and could hear locales chatting on AM and now Nothing not even a radio check.
My friend, it's about the same here in Amarillo. There are a total of about 4 of us with stations here, hardly ever cross paths on the radio though. The I-40 corridor and I-27 bring through truckers and even then you seldom hear a peep other than at night when the truck stops load up. It's nowhere near what it was ever a decade ago. SSB is where it's at so best to have a sideband capable rig.

Great rigs, leaps and bounds ahead of others at their price point too. You won't regret either. What I find myself missing most in the q6 is the NRC from the q5n2 but still an excellent radio.
My own opinions.
What draws me to the q5n2 is the display. It has something that at least resembles a meter, for what that is worth ! The reason you don't hear much on AM anymore is because the mind set has changed in people. Now it's all about Me. I want silence until I need some thing. LOL !

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.