• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 METER SSB SUGAR OSCAR/TANGO. DELTA excetera excetera?

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
When shooting skip, which is what I used my station for 95% of the time, I can't help but notice all these, what I'm assuming to be club prefixes before stations use their digit call sign..i myself just using my 3 digit call sign. Are these clubs that can be joined in order to get that prefix? I would also like someone to explain to me why or even if this is necessary on 11 meters. I'm assuming it stops any confusion between two or more stations with the same call sign. Are these legitimate clubs? Are stations just inventing their own in order to sound, for a lack of words more amateurish? Is it necessary, or should I just stick with My 3 digit call sign. It just seems like so many stations are using a prefix before there digits. Fox Baker, echo tango, sugar Delta and Sugarbaker just a few examples, what's the deal?

Reactions: gamegetter

For the most part they are radio clubs. Joining one is entirely optional and unnecessary. Nothing wrong with what you are doing now. Back in the heyday of the 70's and early 80's there MANY DX clubs and some offered newsletters and member rosters etc. Nowadays it seems they offer little more than a callsign.

the prefix helps when the forum has dx contests as the rule's require contact with other forum members, but it's not necessary other wise.

i go by 273, charlie bravo tango 273 (cbtricks), charlie micheal 1273 (channel masters) i have more but dont have book with me at this time,, buzzards roost,whiskey delta

For the most part they are radio clubs. Joining one is entirely optional and unnecessary. Nothing wrong with what you are doing now. Back in the heyday of the 70's and early 80's there MANY DX clubs and some offered newsletters and member rosters etc. Nowadays it seems they offer little more than a callsign.
Ummm; not exactly . . .
There are several radio clubs, and the larger, better established ones have their own websites. They also send members hard copy printouts/booklets of all members. They also organize contests and give awards/trophies. Even still do DXepditions - to boot. A real sense of international radio ops community and camaraderie. Such as Alfa Tanga, Sugar Delta, World Radio, and so on.

Stella, the first number in the callsign for DX clubs is to identify the country of origin:
http://www.tangomike.net/reference-pages/prefix-lists/

The members all have unique numbers that are registered to their group and primarily operate on the freeeband in USB mode centering on/around 27.555mhz. But they also tx on the CB band as well.

There is also a website called Cluster DX that records recent radio reports so as to make aware of conditions between locations. Different clubs have different requirements to join, such as the number of CONFIRMED DX contacts.

The application process for some of these clubs (Sugar Delta and Alfa Tango in particular) are quite difficult. I know, as I had a very difficult time to get into either. But I finally qualified for Sugar Delta ('2SugarDelta123 = Rob') after I confirmed over 30 different countries. IIRC, Alfa Tango had the same requirements. World Radio club does not; but you must request a call from one of their club admintrators ON AIR - only! Just an example . . .

Last edited:

Ummm; not exactly . . .
There are several radio clubs, and the larger, better established ones have their own websites. They also send members hard copy printouts/booklets of all members. They also organize contests and give awards/trophies. Even still do DXepditions - to boot. A real sense of international radio ops community and camaraderie. Such as Alfa Tanga, Sugar Delta, World Radio, and so on.

Yes Robb but I was talking about the clubs that were around in the 70's and 80's and that are STILL around seem to offer nothing more than a callsign whereas back THEN they offered rosters etc. Perhaps these are defunct now and people simply are perpetuating the handing out of callsigns.The much larger clubs like AT do sponsor contests etc yes but there were many MANY other clubs in existence back then that seem to still have numbers showing up on the air but nothing else. Not even sure if a lot of those are still active clubs or not. I was a member of Alpha-Tango, Whiskey International, National Sidebanders of America, Silver-Leaf of South Africa, Canada High Frequency Club, Trans Canada Radio Club and a couple more I can't even remember.

Reactions: Grogan
27.555 USB is the frequency I find myself on most. The only reason I find myself visiting 38 LSB, is to say good afternoon to the many station I've become acquainted with. I've only been on the air for about 10 months now, and I'm assuming like everyone else 38 LSB, is the place where everyone first operates. Since that time I really consider 38 LSB a joke. I enjoy making contacts and the occasional QSO, and find that impossible on 38th LSB. I just enjoy the 7 hours or so a week I spend on the radio with like minded operators who just enjoy making those long distance contacts, without having to hear all the screwballs that seem to congregate on 38 LSB. On 27.555 USB I will usually call CQ Division 2 North America and my 3 call sign. I sometimes feels a bit uncomfortable because everybody, or most operated on that frequency will belong to a club and do have a prefix. I notice my contacts will often ask for my call sign a few times, & I think this is because I don't use a prefix. I find myself explaining it's just plain old 1 1 1. I would like to start my own club. I think I'll call it sugar Oscar. Solo operator. I almost feel lik Iked you have to have a prefix because everyone else does, or like I said mostly all up on that frequency. I have a feeling if I use 2 sugar Oscar 111, eventually someone might ask what sugar Oscar is. I guess I'll have to explain if that ever happens. If there's anybody else who doesn't belong to a club and enjoys shooting skip up on that frequency, who's in the same situation might consider doing the same thing. I'm not really interested in joining a club just to get a prefix. I'll give my 2 sugar Oscar 1 1 1 a try and see what happens. I just enjoy making contacts up on that frequency , and don't really want to feel pressured to join the club just to get a prefix , so I'm just going to make up my own and I guess I'll hope there isn't a sugar Oscar club already . I don't recalls a sugar Oscar prefix . I'll just go with that . Thanks for all the responses.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.