• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 Meter WORLD WIDE Call signs

fogdog

Aug 29, 2013
East Tennessee Mountains
I hear a lot of operators on SSB using World Wide Radio call signs. I don't see an area anywhere on this forum on how to get a WWR Call Number. I do see the amateur radio registration, but not one for CB.

I'm I just not seeing it? :headbang

Thanx, and 73

Back in the day there used to be Sideband International which issued "numbers" on a national level. I had one but have no idea what it was. Lots of local clubs issued number as well, again all meaningless as they were never official in any way. When I ran 11 meters I was Unit 997, just something I made up. Well actually the 997 was derived from my FCC call of KBEW 9197.

I'll have to listen up again. It might be World Radio there saying. Just wondering anyway. Thought it might have been somehow related to this this forum, since we do have a amateur radio club here.

I accidently gave out my amateur call sign once while on 38 LSB dxing one day. Just a habit from operating on the amateur bands so much.
Don't know if I could get in any trouble for doing so?

I accidently gave out my amateur call sign once while on 38 LSB dxing one day. Just a habit from operating on the amateur bands so much.
Don't know if I could get in any trouble for doing so?

I don't think most cb'ers understand that di dah di dah dit stuff;)

heck, back in the day,..... when I was feeling frisky,...... I often called my self "double you won a double you":sneaky2:

Some CB sidebanders use a designation of World Wide. For instance, there is John, a CB operator in South Carolina, who refers to himself as World Wide 142. Nice fellow.

On the other hand, there are still several SSB CB radio clubs operating who use club name prefixed call numbers. One of those is TWRC, or The World Radio Club. Operators who identify with the club while DXing will refer to themselves by the club name and their assigned number.
For instance, I am World Radio 183 (or phonetically Whiskey Romeo 183).
Membership in the CB clubs is generally as easy as a request, it is more difficult to obtain membership in TWRC. PM me if you are wanting to know more about that.

As has been said TWRC is not affiliated with WWRF.
I believe you are correct that there is no CB club, only an Amateur club associated with this forum, WWRF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.