• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

110v to 220v do you get a wattage increase on amplifier

I may be off here, but I'm sure you know the answer. 220 uses half the watt hours of 110, right? So my electric bill should be less.

Brett
Not quite: 240 uses half the CURRENT of 120 FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF POWER. If you have two otherwise identical electric heaters, one designed to be powered from 240VAC (call it "A") and the other designed for 120VAC (call it "B"), let's see what we get.

Heater A is a 1,000 watt unit, powered off 240 volts. That's 4.2 amperes.
Heater B is a 1,000 watt unit, powered off 120 volts. That's 8.3 amperes.

Notice there's essentially a 2:1 ratio? That's because of rounding.

Now, what you have to consider as far as your electric bill is that isn't determined by a wattmeter or kilowatt-meter. A unit of TIME has to be factored in (turn your clothes dryer on for five seconds and then for five MINUTES. Which one will cost more?)

Last edited:
Reactions: wavrider and 2RT307
220 May use half the current. But you are using twice the current. So no you won't use less wattage. But the power feeding the amp will be more stable meaning less voltage drop.

Reactions: wavrider
I have yet to convert my AL-80B to 220. I had a dedicated 220 line ran recently to my shack, and only did it to reduce electricity consumption, minimize voltage drop, and make life easier for my amp. I don't expect more power out, unless it is from reduced drop as mentioned above.

Brett

What amperage is your breaker?

Basically want to be safe don't want to under estimate it and it pop off all the time vs too much and it never pops off when if should have and loose everything

Breaker that connect to the plug directly am going to run a 240v line in and not sure what size breaker to put in I want some leeway but not too much but don't want to go 15amp was thinking 20 possible higher but would be overkill just want enough to hold large amp

AC line breakers are not supposed to protect equipment. They protect the wiring that connects to the equipment and prevent fires from burnt wiring.The breaker and the size of the wire should be matched appropriately. The equipment itself should have appropriate breakers or fuses to protect it. Any overload that would be cause for concern will trip any reasonably sized breaker. A typical amp delivering 2 Kw OUTPUT to the antenna will draw approximately 18-20 amps from the 220 volt line under normal voice peaks. It should have a 30 amp line breaker as a 20 amp breaker may trip after extended use at it's max rating. You may get by with a 20 amp breaker if a low duty cycle mode is used like SSB. Basically go by what the manufacturer recommends be installed for a breaker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.