• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

12V Power Distribution

Blue Jay

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 16, 2008
Central Ohio
Trying to get some ideas for setting up a 12V dc power distribution panel, getting enough things in the shack that it gets to be a mess with the different power supplies. Wanting to use a battery to supply with so the only way I would know that AEP (power company) was off again would be the shack lights would go off. I have a 60A charger from my telephone company days that I was able to convert from 24V to 12V so it would normally carry the load but need some ideas for a little less clutter.
Thanks

I don't think running a battery on a base is a good idea. Does your power really go out that often? If so this might be a good thing to invest in. We lost power 2 years ago in an ice storm for 4 days, rotated the furnace, fridge, tv, and some lights off the little EU2000IA model. Worked great.

Honda Power Equipment - Honda Portable Recreational Generators

2 -3 times a month, we are on the end of the line and the outages last from 1-3 hours. Already have a 12V sump pump and 20KW PTO generator that I can use for the times it is out for days but is a pain to use just for the radios.

It just depends on how elaborate you want to get. A generator on a transfer switch is nice! If you can afford to buy and support that generator. Also usually means placing priorities for what is automatically supported and what isn't (bound to be limited by the generator's output capabilities). You can do the same thing with battery power, switch it on automatically when the AC goes off. Also the same about setting up that battery bank, buying and supporting it (a very large 'UPS'?).
The key to any of this sort of thing is the power storage capacity. The care and feeding of such a system can be made cheaper but only with more work/effort.
A wet-cell storage bank is typically cheaper, but take much more effort to care for it properly. An AGM or glass mat type system requires less effort, but definitely will not be cheap.
How you keep that storage system 'topped off' can be done in several ways. Easiest/cheapest would probably be through the AC power systems. Then there's wind power, solar, etc, etc. The more independent you are from the AC power distribution network, the more expensive it gets, at least initially. It does get cheaper over time once you have a reliable system functioning fairly efficiently. But it will never be as inexpensive as the AC system. (Other wise, why have the AC power companies?)
If you figure out a good way of doing it on a very limited budget, I wish you'd let me know too!
- 'Doc

I just recently( within the last week or two) read an article on either QRZ or Eham regarding building your own 12v distribution panels. Maybe that will help.

I have looked at those too. I already run Power Poles. One of the do it yourself power strips I refered to earlier was for powerpoles too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.