• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

148 gtl issue

Haha, "When i put volume all the way up", good one man, but why?
If you demand a lot from the audio circuit, expect it to produce some heat..
Edit: does audio come out normally, as it should? or are you having to crank it up just to get anything out?

I can't tell you about the "squeal" without more info, is this happening in transmit or receive?
(and do you have a talk-back mod done?)

You shouldn't have to turn the volume knob all the way up, at least w/ an external speaker.
Even w/ the built-in speaker, the idea of turning the volume all the way up makes me cringe...
Maybe the radio has an issue. Did this just happen "out of the blue"?

Edit#2: I agree w/ Robb, give it a shot of contact cleaner (get in there real good) and rotate the knob left & right (several times), wait a little while (20-30 mins should be fine) and repeat (if necessary).

Last edited:
First thing to check is to see if the pointer's pivot bearing is mechanically seized.

You didn't say if the meter moves on transmit. Simply rocking the radio from side to side should get the meter to 'bounce' either side of the zero position with the radio turned off.

If it won't move at all this way, the meter is probably the problem.

Somebody must have posted a video showing how to put some slack in the pivot on these. There is a tiny screw and locknut that set the tension on the pointer's pivot bearing. Slacking off that screw with a half-turn or so counterclockwise will sometimes free it up.

Could the meter-function selector switch be dirty? Cranking it from end to end, and back to the "S/RF" position might reveal this.

Trimpots can go bad. VR1 sets the receive meter for AM, VR2 for SSB. If the meter works on SSB receive, try turning VR1. Might just have a bad spot.

If the meter won't move on receive for AM or SSB either one, I would be looking for a wire come loose from the meter selector switch or some simple fault like that. The odds that both trimpots VR1 and VR2 are bad seem less likely.

And if someone gave it the proverbial "drink of coke" the contamination will be easy to spot. Gunky trimpots may or may not clean up and work again.

i adjusted all bands with my signal generator to s9 which the meter moves to s9 but still very low meter movement on recieve i get like a s2,but i hear the recieve very loud and clear

Kaos513, have you cleaned ALL the switches and controls yet with a quality cleaner like DeoxIT?
From my personal experience, I recommend DeoxIT D5
Features
  • Excellent cleaning/deoxidizing, good protection, no ozone depletion.
  • Improves conductivity and reduces intermittent connections.
  • Reduces arcing, RFI, wear and abrasion.
for a cleaner
&
"DeoxIT SHIELD S5"
Features

• Flushing Action, Slow Dry and Safe on Plastics.

• DeoxIT7 SHIELD S100L concentrate has 0.0% chemical cleaning action.
    • Ideal for severe environments (humidity, salts, pollutants, sulfur, etc.)
    • Excellent protection, good conductivity enhancing, excellent lubrication.
    • Creates a long lasting barrier against oxidation and corrosion.

• No ozone depletion. :D

• Reduces intermittent connections, arcing, RFI, wear and abrasion.

• Cleaner Audio - Clearer Video - Reliable Data.
protector/lubricant by CAIG Laboratories.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb
from what I am reading the meter goes to S9 with a tone and when some one talks to you it only goes to S2. how close are the people too you? if they are far enough away that may be all the signal you will coming in to you. have some one close talk to you. should go up if they are close. if these radios are tuned properly and have new caps in them most of the time they have a loud clear signal coming into you. I live about 15 miles from some guys I talk to and I will get very little meter movement but they will come in nice and loud on my cobra 149F radio. when I 1st got it I could barely hear them. recapped it and tuned it and now as I stated they come in nice and loud now.

I have some President washington 858 PLL radios that the receive will bring in people farther than any other radio I have. the floor noise level at night will be zero and thinking the radio has stopped working and some one will key up and blow my ears out since I turned the volume up to see If I could hear any one. I like the old Washingtons the best so far compared to other radios.

kaos,
try this.

inject a signal into the antenna jack from your sig gen modulated with a 1K tone at 30%, and at a level of around .5uV.

can you hear this signal through the speaker in the radio?
you should be able to hear this signal although weak and too small to move the meter.

once you confirm that the sensitivity of the radio is up to snuff, then you can turn your attention to the meter itself.

from what i am reading, it sounds like you have a sluggish meter.
meaning that the meter will move, but it struggles to move with weaker signals.

you could just replace the meter, but you can also usually free it up pretty easily.

and just as Nomad hoped, there is a video showing you how to do it!
i've probably typed up this fix over a dozen times, and it's nice to be able to just link to a video (thanks Mike!) instead.

the biggest deal when doing this is first, don't strip the screw! and second, don't turn the screw too far in either direction.

LC

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.