• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2/440MHz moble antennas

The Mad Scientist

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 24, 2012
Northeast Pa
Hi all, I am looking for a really good 2/440MHz mobile antenna that uses the PL259 mount. I was looking at the commet csb-790a and the commet ca-2x4SR. Ant ideas?

Alsop looking for a good swr/power meter for the same.

Thanks in advance.

I've used both antennas, but only have the C-2X4SR currently (two of them actually). Both work fine. If you have the 'room' for that csb-790a then it's certainly a nice one. I didn't have the 'room', it seemed to go looking for things to hit, limbs, whatever, so I found it a better home.
Which would be 'best' for you depends a lot on just what you use the thing for. I also use the CA-2x4SR for other than ham bands so it works out better than the csb-790a did. There really is a difference in performance just in that regard. For strictly ham use, I'm afraid I couldn't tell a difference between them.
Something else to keep in mind with both of them is that they are very 'stiff' antennas, not much 'bend-ability' at all. That typically means you'd better have a very good mount for either of them, it will take some abuse (whack, whack, whack).
I think either will satisfy normal use performance wise. The 'practical' aspect get's a little 'iffy' because one is almost 2 feet longer than the other. You decide about that...
Have fun.
- 'Doc

(That gain 'improvement' is only benefit' when you really have a need for the extra gain. I couldn't tell the difference. That's probably a result of repeaters not being that far away around here. YMMV)

I've run the 2X4 for a couple of years now. It's been whacked & banged more times than I can count and it keeps on ticking. It's also very wide banded and serves double duty for me up in the 170Mhz range. Great for MURS, etc... too.

I was wanting to add a higher gain Diamond or Comet (like this one Comet CSB 790A 2M 70cm Dual Band Mobile Antenna Low Cost Ships Worldwide | eBay) to my collection, but talked to a number of locals that had been down that road and the general consensus that they're good for about a year before they fail.

I have to throw my support in as well for the CA2x4SR. Great antenna with decent gain and durability. Also you can't beat the bandwidth.Mine must be 10 or 12 years old and has seen it's share of road salt, ice, and snow and still works great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.