• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter base

2m Base

Yep, the Kenwood TS-711a was/is a great little 2m base, and I regret selling mine. They sure do retain their used value too! I sold mine in 1989 for about $500, and they run $400-650 now. If I remember correctly only 10w output? (maybe 25). Other nominee's that I've also owned and missed....

Icom IC-271H (100w output, 80's model)
Icom IC-275a (25w output 2m)
Icom IC-275h (100w output 2m)
*Note the 275's are VERY nice
Yaesu's FT-211RD (not sure if I got the model number right. Looks like an FT301D - with analog and digital display).
And, if I could ever get my hands on one again...
I'd buy the Kenwood TM-255A allmode mobile and set it on a PS and that would be that! TM-255a's are rather hard to come by though.

Last category - Rig's I've never owned.
Icom's IC-820 and 821 which are Dualband (2m/440) bases. I'm not sure, but at least one of these were kinda quirky. Maybe it was the 820 because the 821 came out very soon after.
Good Luck!
Woody

I had a Icom 251A for a while. They can be found cheap. Neat radio but no tones and TX audio was weak. A Turner +3 desk mic helped a bunch. I think the Heil for Icoms would have been even better. Only 10W out but that was enough to drive a small amp. Wasn't much ssb activity around here so I sold it.

i have found Icom
IC-910H to be really good all mode base

ok so it is a dual band and can be set as a tri band
but it is considered a Exellent contesting radio

100 watts on 2 meters

I think before paying $900+ for the 910 and only get 2m and 440, I would buy a 767gx with the modules installed for around $700 and have hf vh and uhf. Or another really neat base station with features unheard of to any other company is yaesu's 897d. This is a multi mode full band hf, vhf, uhf base station with options of being run off two internal batteries for portable or emergency use and it can have a power supply added also so there is no external PS needed. These rigs can be had for as low as $600 used

OK I bought a Kenwood TM 271A it should be in any day now. Just could no find anything in a used one that was not from a estate sale. I guess I can always use in in my Jeep. Give me a week to figure out how it works and I will report back what I think of it.

Rooster

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.