• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 meter quad + vertical plan - opinions please

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I'm planning a new 2 meter antenna setup and would like some opinions. I'm thinking about putting this 8 element Cubex 2 meter quad up:

moleculo-albums-2009-dayton-hamvention-pics-picture817-cubex-8-element-quad.jpg

Right now my thinking is to try and put it about 5' above the roof (I'm already way up on a hill). I currently have a Diamond F22a 7/8 wave vertical that I was thinking about stacking on top of it another 5' up. Here's a pic of that antenna:

1927.jpg

I was thinking about mounting the quad so that I could manually change it's polarity from Vertical to Horizontal, although I would usually use it Horizontal for 2M ssb.

Can anyone think of any negatives of stacking the vertical on top of the quad like this? Oh yeah, I also picked up a small Rotor to turn the whole thing (of course)

put it a little further away? %' is already close to a wave.

nice big antenna

Should work, the distance between them is key and I don't have a firm number for you. I think Cubex told me that 5' was about enough though...you could email them.

The Scorpion 88 is high on my list too and all reports from some friends that have them is that they work great. They also allegedly work just fine with a TV rotor too.

I sort of forgot about that antenna and ordered a 5/8 10m instead recently so it will wait a bit longer.

oh yeah, would you get more gain and increased F/B if you used a double co-phased pair of double bi-quads?

anyway, I like the bi-quad as I measured around 9.8 dBd gain, a double bi-quad ought to do quite nice, and even a single co-phased pair of double bi-quads ought to do very well...

Attachments

• cophase-double-biquad.jpg
    cophase-double-biquad.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 709
Mole', I think it ought'a work pretty good. I think I'd check with 'Cubex' about the vertical spacing, but something like 5 - 10 feet ought to work fine.
I've seen a couple of those manual polarization change things at one time or another. Used a hinge and a couple of ropes to do that changing. Also saw one that used a single rope, hinge, and a large spring. That can get complicated so whatever works.
- 'Doc

Ah yeah. Now you get to figure out how to keep those ropes from tangling on the mast/tower when you rotate the @#$ thing :)!
- 'Doc

I prefer using a cheap (used) elevation rotator to change polarity. Insert the boom through the rotator and the antenna rotates 90 degrees to change polarity.No problem for even a large array if it is well balanced.

QRN, I've looked for what you said to no avail. Bummer.

My current idea is to use a windshield wiper motor (12V, I have that with my PS's) to change polarity like the vid shows.

Maybe?

If you find one used they aren't bad, but new they are about the same as a medium ham rotor...$300+

Yaesu made a combination az/el rotator the G-5500 I believe it was. There was another elevation only unit called the U-110. I believe there are a few others still available on the new and used market but they are not that plentiful.

The thing I don't like about the system in the video is that the boom is sloppy in the mast plate and will be subject to considerable wear in a windy location.

Hi
Just curious how did you make that antenna go from horizon to vertical? I saw the clip but could not see how you were able to move it from the ground. Call me stupid or blind HI HI I missed somehting.
73 from mytrashbin88030@yahoo.com if you e-mail me I will tell you about some stuff I have to get rid of and something I need.

Hi
Just curious how did you make that antenna go from horizon to vertical? I saw the clip but could not see how you were able to move it from the ground. Call me stupid or blind HI HI I missed somehting.

73 from mytrashbin88030@yahoo.com if you e-mail me I will tell you about some stuff I have to get rid of and something I need.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.