• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2 pill high swr how long before damage ?

rizz

Feb 27, 2011
Ok I was running my amp on 10 meters stage 1 50watts, I looked ar the swr meter and it was in the red so I must of had a 4 to 5 second key down before realising there was a problem, The problem was a pl259 in the garden that had come loose on a barrel connector, my question is could I have caused any damage to the transistors running a very high swr for upto 5 seconds ?

The transistors are no more robust today then they were 30 years ago. Mosfet amps are not robust at all......more like bust!!!

If anything poor quality control and cheap knock offs have made some of them, like decent RF transistors, somewhat less reliable today than 30 years ago. Having said that however some of the RF type MOSFETS are VERY robust and will withstand a very high SWR. The problem is that the MOSFETS used in CB or export radios are usually a switching type that just happen to work at 27 MHz and are not proper RF types at all.

Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.