• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

200GTL DX

I bet Cobra are seriously regretting falling out with Uniden,what was once THE biggest and best loved name in the cb world is fast becoming a joke,its about time they changed manufacturers and saved their reputation before it is gone forever.

blown outputs/drivers due to static seems to be a problem the president jackson 2 seems to be having too,its about time mitsubishi or mororola went back to making quality bipolar transistors and gave these crap mosfet devices the boot.

The 200 is not a cb radio anyway, it's an Export. So it's the worst Export out there, and the 150 is not far behind.

I've had my 200GTL-DX for a couple years, one of the last available (3rd revision), hasn't given me any trouble at all and sounds great in the mobile with a Wilson 1000, with a Cobra pre-amp mike.

The ONLY complaint I have is the "limp-wristed" channel selector, yeah it has clicks, but it ain't FIRM clicks like I'm used to. :tongue:

Other than that... I think Cobra finally got it together with the 3rd revision board but by then the bad reputation of the radio had sank it.

Sort of like the Pontiac Fiero a-ways back.

Simply put. Whether it be that a very very very few of these radios somehow weren't crap, or some don't want to admit they got sold crap... The majority of these things aren't worth the box they came in. Garbage plain and simple. Putting excessive time and resources into one that already has issues, well. I guess we all have our quirks, but there comes a a time to figure out a lost cause. Cobra 200s are trash, and belong in a can. I wish they had been better. They would have been the coolest radio in decades, but a lemon is a lemon.

I have one of those paperwieght radio's to! (no sarcasm intended)!!! Your lucky thats all the problem's your experiancing "my channel selector went south on mine"!
The best advice for you would be to contact (RF PARTS and just them)and order up like 5 or so to keep on hand... WARNING!!!!!!!!!! Use only mithubishi mosfets with only this part#(no substitutes) or you'll fry your main 2sc2290 finals!
This mosfet is a (pre-final)desined to blow so that the pills dont!

I had a so called better (improved) 3rd Generation board or version and your right there was a good thing about that 3rd generation model. COBRA HAD THE HEART TO REFUND MY PURCHASE PRICE!! Minus the 5 0r 6 shipping charges I spent sending it out but atleast I didnt end up with another paperweight or boat anchor I didnt need.

when ever i see someone posting one for sale and they say things like "mint" and "hardly used" and such i cant help but theink they truly know what a POS they are trying to sell . i think they just waited a few years for the complaining to die down so they could dump it on some unsuspecting person .

DTB did seem to get the ones he sold right though , nobody that got theirs from him had problems that i can recall .

cobra 200 gtl mosfet

replacemment for the rd16hhf1 is the 2sc1969 works great is more stable and better transistor is rated at 27.000 mhz 16 po.out w..and the rd16hhf1 at 30.000 16 po.out mhz good luck :headbang

replacemment for the rd16hhf1 is the 2sc1969 works great is more stable and better transistor is rated at 27.000 mhz 16 po.out w..and the rd16hhf1 at 30.000 16 po.out mhz good luck :headbang

That's funny, your FIRST post on this forum is from a 2 year old thread on a turd of a radio like a Cobra 200???? Really now!!

Hi all. I have 3 of them . I have a gifted radio tech who knows the design faults that came out from the factory. When he does the mods ,they can work really well. Problem is finding other a talented techs like this guy who actually know what they are doing. . The ones I have work perfectly. It is a shame that they came out with problems. They are I think a really nice looking radio. I get great reports on the audio now and the receive is really good. Sure it cost some $ to get them to work well, but I am a collector and to have one how the maker probably intended is great. I hope Cobra read all our threads, then put together a kick arse replacement one day with a little more testing prior to launch. They almost got it right. 73s

I know love my Cobra 200 I even use it on 10 meters I use a Ranger AC7000 u/d mic with the built in equalizer on it and many guys when I tell them on 10 meters it's a Cobra 200 they don't believe it they always tell me they thought I was on some high dollar HF. I never have had any trouble with mine I run it at about 80 watts max on SSB. I do think they will last much longer used just on a base. but as said on a previous post its all about having the right radio man set it up.

I've always wanted one of these radios despite all the bed rep and I finally bought one for $100! The guy I bought it from said it had an intermittent power issue. I bought it thinking it probably only needed the RF driver mosfet. Sure enough, I ordered a new transistor and installed it. Radio works mint, It appears to already have all the other known mods done to it. The other thing I know about these radios is the gate voltage at the transistor is usually way to high from factory and they burn out. Techs usually swap them and ship them out without checking this. I am not a tech, just an extreme DIY'r. I adjusted the gate voltage, replaced the driver, re-aligned everything and so far so good. Getting great reports in AM and SSB modes. Very happy with this radio.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.