• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2510/Lincoln ChipSwitch

No more chip switches :( They haven't been made or available for a while. Occasionally you'll see a 2510 with one in it for sale but not cheap.

They have not been made for years. There is one on Ebay now, it is the entire processor tray but the guys wants like $300. I have seen them on Ebay before and they seem to pull in big money. I can not justify spending that on a 25 year old radio. Most of the features I would never use any way.

Besides... I hope you are the best desolder - solderer in the world, because that is a 50 pin DIP chip and it skeers me to just look at it.

They have not been made for years. There is one on Ebay now, it is the entire processor tray but the guys wants like $300. I have seen them on Ebay before and they seem to pull in big money. I can not justify spending that on a 25 year old radio. Most of the features I would never use any way.

And paying $300 to update a 25 year old radio is insane when you can buy new radios that do more for less.

64 pin, with 0.070 pin spacing.
In the Past I have removed them, and re-installed them, but my hands are not as good as they used to be.
If you watch sometimes they show up on e-bay in a radio with a socket, that is the only way to go.
It prevents having to heat the pins on the chipswitch.
The best way to remove the factory CPU ( if you know you will never need it ) is to carefully clip the pins off of the IC as close to the chip as possible, then use a de-soldering tool to remove one pin at a time.
Some of the holes on the processor board are through plated, that is there is a copper sleeve inside the hole that connects both sides of the board together.
If you do not get the solder flowing thru the hole and on both sides, you risk pulling the connection out with the pin.
On the other hand, if you overheat the trace on the board, you risk lifting the trace, both are a big pain in the ass to fix.
It is a job for steady hands, and a good, clean de-soldering tool, you can do it with solder wick, but it takes a bit more heat and you must be careful.
It is the ultimate up-grade for these radios.
Love being able to move the "span" underline with the mic buttons as well as the other features it provided.
If Uniden had continued production, and integrated the features of the ChipSwitch into the radio, i have no doubt they would still be selling today.
As for $300 dollars used, that is crazy, they did not cost that new, AES sold the 2510 for a little over $200 when they switched over to the 2600.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.