• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

257hp- NB question

fonman

Oct 23, 2013
I am thinking about picking up a 257HP for mobile use and wondering how good the noise blanker is?

All opinions appreciated.

The channel receive is quite sensitive. I have found that a combination of the noise blanker and the low tone to help some, but it definitely picks up a lot of RFI from everything from other vehicles to power lines and lights and so on.. Also if someone is talking with big power on another channel close to you the rejection isn't too great. You will get some bleed over. This are things I have noticed with the 2 I own. I do love the radio and keep finding myself re installing it after using other radios like the uniden PC122 and uniden grant. I love the uniden grant, it has an awesome receive, but it's size is just too large for my needs, so it's glong to my brother in law for Christmas as the grants are his favorite radio.

Reactions: 1 person
Only thing I can add is recieve & hiss noise has gotten better over the years with Magnum radio's. As an example my second generation Delta Force it has much more noise then my 257HP.

I run a 257HP in the worst way you can possibly do it... via the 12v cigarette lighter plug in rental cars. Along with a magnet mount antenna. I think the noise blanker does a pretty darned good job. I also use the low tone setting, and that seems to help alternator whine and the like (it's still there, I just don't hear it as loud). It's a very good rig, especially for the size. I think I've had mine nearly two years now, and it is my favorite travel rig.

RT307

I agree I love mine to death and keep coming back to it lol. Have several good ssb radios to run, but this one gets out the best and is on frequency and I always get good audio reports, I have been asked several times if I was on a base station. It's an excellent radio for the money and I don't think you will find another for the same price with the same features. JMO. And agreed the noise blanker does it's job well, the radio just has a sensitive receive.

Thanks

Thanks for the replys.

Now they just need to build some.....else it's back to finding a good Grant XL.

Last edited:
Yep, there will be some new radios coming first of the year per the customer service rep I spoke with back in November. Hope they come with something good!! Might try copper for one. Just buy the radio, don't let them so any work on it. It's very easy to mod and all that is needed is to move a solder joint for that. Good luck finding one or wait til the new year and see what magnum comes out with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.