• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

27inch predator 10k

spearfish

Dec 3, 2008
yorkshire,uk
hi all,paul here in the uk,ive just been lucky enough to get hold of a 10k (sadly not available here).i mounted it on a valor trimag on the roof of my vw polo saloon,cant get swr below 1.5. is my car not a big enough ground? i havnt cut the stinger yet i didnt want to ruin it as i cant get another stinger here in the uk.i tried the 10k forum on here but it wont accept new threads,hope someone has some advice.thanks all:confused:

You can try bonding the hood doors and trunk lid with ground strap, this may bring them down some. If it dosent 1.5 is good.

A 'fixed' mount is always better as far as I'm concerned. That ignores some things like punching holes in cars, what the 'other half' thinks etc, which do make for easier living, sort of.
Your vehicle (and the 'dirt' under it) provides all the 'ground' that a typical 27 Mhz antenna requires. 'Bonding' the various body panels together certainly doesn't hurt though. I'd have to say that you could probably reduce that SWR a bit by tuning the antenna, but there's nothing wrong with a 1.5:1 SWR. Not having access to another 'whip' makes that tuning a bit more difficult, so might not be all that practical for you. Changing the mounting also changes the 'tune' so having an extra 'whip' or two isn't a bad idea, if you go that route. Oh well, if it were easy it wouldn't be any fun at all...
- 'Doc

love messing with antennas,prefer aerials to radios to be honest,the best mobile antenna ive had has to be a marginplan bullwhip made in leeds uk in the 80's,like gold dust now.84inches long base loaded.story goes ,a guy bought a load of 2foot firesticks,the old brass thread ones,he drilled out the top and added a tapered whip,so as you can guess the coil starts off wound wide apart the gets tighter untill its tightly wound,then the whip on top,amazing performance,swr from 26-28.500mhz never above 1.3,flat 1.1 inbetween,i also like the avanti hippo 5 and 6foot moonraker,but neither compete with the bullwhip.a friend of mine bengal tiger(sadly passed away now)tried the bullwhip against a 102 whip.no diference.which is unbeleivable because theres bound to be resistance and losses in the coil of the bullwhip.wish i could find another.i havnt really tried the 10k yet,waiting for my voyage vr9000 to arrive then im on to the hills for some dx.thanks for the replys,regards paul

you ned to check the vswr on channels 1-20 and 40 and find out IF you need to cut the antennas stinger . heres some info on tuning antennas .

Wilson Antenna Tech support - General SWR Notes

the stinger from a wilson 1000/5000 will work in a 10k . i actually drilled mine a lil larger to take a stinger from a fatboy . it made no difference in tx or rx , but ive got something a lil different from anyone else . lol

where did you mount the antenna on your vehicle ? typically the 27 inch shafted is recomended for trunks and truck bed/tool box mounts . a hard mount (drill hole in roof) would be best but that long of a shaft is gonna create a lot of torx on the mount . id suggest a puck mount or at least doing the saw blade trick with a good stud mount .

RFPOWER WORLD WIDE HIGH POWERED ANTENNA MOUNTS

hi booty monster,i had the 10k mounted smack in the middle of the roof.a guy on an uk cb forum went for a smaller shaft 10k because he has a small hatch back and swr was high with the 27in shaft.on his passat estate(stationwagon)the 27in 10k swr was fine.i didnt think they would need such an emormous ground plane.ill have to sell the vw polo and buy a kenworth lol(y)

I run a 22 in shaft on a trimag on my little Nissan Frontier pickup.Its a extended cab and I run it about 4 inches from back of cab. More gain out the front but does a fine job in all directions. 1.1 to1.2 swr across 40 channels.

hi booty monster,i had the 10k mounted smack in the middle of the roof.a guy on an uk cb forum went for a smaller shaft 10k because he has a small hatch back and swr was high with the 27in shaft.on his passat estate(stationwagon)the 27in 10k swr was fine.i didnt think they would need such an emormous ground plane.ill have to sell the vw polo and buy a kenworth lol(y)

he should have mounted the 10k on the hatchback towards the rear
stationwagon as well solid mount it at the rear on top

he should have mounted the 10k on the hatchback towards the rear
stationwagon as well solid mount it at the rear on top

thanks for all the replys guys ill try again,think ill get another stinger(wilson or sirio)and have a play with some cutters.will not having the static bobble on top of another stinger effect performance?its a big bobble on the 10k stinger.thanks again

its all gone here now,we havnt had proper snow for years,send it this way.bet you get sick of it over there.ill give the predator a try on my next days off,back to work tomorrow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio