• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2879 How much drive?

dx31353

Mar 5, 2014
How much drive can a single 2879 drive section safely handle and still put out nice clean sound?

It's in a 1 driving 4. All 2879 DEI pills.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How much drive can a single 2879 drive section safely handle and still put out nice clean sound?

It's in a 1 driving 4. All 2879 DEI pills.

That would depend on the amp. You are going to need to adjust the radio's carrier power until the amp keys about 200 watts and it'll sound fine.

Reactions: 1 person
That would depend on the amp. You are going to need to adjust the radio's carrier power until the amp keys about 200 watts and it'll sound fine.

I understand that. I have my dk set I wanna know how much drive the pill can safely handle. For example could the pill handle a 40 watt forward swing from a Galaxy 55 and not over do it and make it sound like crap.

I am asking because I am looking for a new radio but I am not sure what to get. I have a 29 now but I am in the mood for something new.

A single 2879 is too much drive for four 2879's (imo) so they typically swamp the drive. I think a Cobra29 is plenty for a 1 driving 4.

A Toshiba 2SC2879 is speced at 10 watts of drive max. IIRC. More will simply create more crap out unless the input is heavily swamped. With a single 2879 driving four there is far too much drive available to the final four if a clean signal is what you are after. If all you want is crunchy audio and swinging meters then 40 watts into a 1 X 4 will do the job.

Reactions: 2 people
A Toshiba 2SC2879 is speced at 10 watts of drive max. IIRC. More will simply create more crap out unless the input is heavily swamped. With a single 2879 driving four there is far too much drive available to the final four if a clean signal is what you are after. If all you want is crunchy audio and swinging meters then 40 watts into a 1 X 4 will do the job.

Nope looking for good clean audio. I get great reports now from 50 feet away or 20 miles up the road on a good day. This is the answer I was looking for thanks. Looks like I will be keeping my good old 29.

With the 29 or the 55?

I'm using a 29 and straight 4 design, but I think he meant a straight 4 with the 55 ...... which would be fine as well.

That's the bad thing about amplifiers with driver sections, you severely limit the radios you can use with them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.