• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

2M only or Dual Band ???

Billk

Jan 8, 2012
www.enginerepairshop.com
Hey guys,
First of all, hope everyone had a nice Xmas !!

My old trusty Icom 2M HT finally gave it up after 20 years so I am looking for a replacement. A dual band (2M & 440) is not that much more, but I am just not sure if there is a real need for it ? I am just going to get a basic HT, don't need any bells and whistles. It will definitely be another Icom.

So, what would you buy ? Those of you that have dual band HT's, do you really use the 440 very much if at all ?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Bill,
I think an easy way to decide would be another question, are there any '440' repeaters in your area? If not, then I wouldn't think there would be much 'need' for a dual-band HT. Unless you just wanna...
- 'Doc

Maybe time to get some of your buddies to play on UHF? It's pretty easy to get up and running, especially because the antennas are so small.

In my area there is a lot of linked systems. Also seems to be more traffic on 440 than 2 meters. Icom radios are nice but have a nice price to go along with them. Ever think about trying out a Woxun dual band. Just a thought! as I Zip up my Flame suit!

In my area there is a lot of linked systems. Also seems to be more traffic on 440 than 2 meters. Icom radios are nice but have a nice price to go along with them. Ever think about trying out a Woxun dual band. Just a thought! as I Zip up my Flame suit!

No flame suit needed :) I subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" club and it has generally served me well. I was talking to someone a few days before Xmas and could hardly understand him on his new "Made in China" HT :( He sounded pretty frustrated with it also :( I will stick to something I know is pretty decent even if it costs a little more.

I've had great luck with my Baofeng UV-5R, survived several drops on my tile floor and still ticking.

Regularly get 60km range driving towards repeaters on both VHF/UHF on flat ground, 20-30km driving away in the "hills", and always with great audio reports.

It doesn't have a big brand name, but it's also doesn't come with their price, can't go wrong for $50.

Reactions: 1 person
Plenty of public service on UFH around here, so it's worth it to me just for the "scanner" abilities. No amateur traffic though.

I'd definately suggest a dual band HT. You never know if you might want to use 70 cm someday and the cost difference is not that great these days. I have a Yeasu FT-60r that I love. I think they sell for around $150.00 and it's loaded with some great features. It's also very durable, which is important to me because I can be rough on my radios.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.