• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

36.2 ohm PL259

So instead of going out and purchasing a 50 ohm dummy load I suppose we could build our own 45 ohm dummy load for our test bench and accomplish the same results tuning a radio?

This makes it obvious that you have no idea what the difference is between an impedance bump and a terminating impedance.

This makes it obvious that you have no idea what the difference is between an impedance bump and a terminating impedance.
That impedance bump looks kind of nasty on a time domain reflectometer..
2039_718_162_zpswwzezxfy.jpg

It's hard for anyone to take you seriously chop. You've got a reputation for starting these kinds of threads just to troll. In the past you've posted videos of what you want to hear and now you're using Google images. If you already know the answer you want to hear then don't ask.

If you want to believe only what makes you feel good that's fine. You are the type that asks a question just so you can reply. If you really want to learn about this stuff buy some books or take a trip to the library when you have some down time. If you want to learn about marks equipment and if he's using it right download the manuals, look over some radio service manuals. When you run across something you don't understand research it.

Everything you seem to know about radio has came from the CB techs you've used over the years. You overlook the basics and get in over your head. You say you're always looking for a tech that can do a better job for you and that's what makes people like you an easy target. You don't have enough knowledge to know when you're being taken by a smooth talking saleman. To keep it pg13 let's call it self inflicted sexual abuse. ;)

then learn some history too.

a UHF connector (as designed) is not even suitable at todays UHF freqs.

Some of us that has been around "a while", always use the term UHF connector, and never say PL-259.

Yes indeedy. Back when the PL259/SO239 connectors were first in use UHF was considered any frequency above 30 MHz thus they were good to UHF hence the name of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHF_connector

Reactions: midnight special
It's hard for anyone to take you seriously chop. You've got a reputation for starting these kinds of threads just to troll. In the past you've posted videos of what you want to hear and now you're using Google images. If you already know the answer you want to hear then don't ask.

If you want to believe only what makes you feel good that's fine. You are the type that asks a question just so you can reply. If you really want to learn about this stuff buy some books or take a trip to the library when you have some down time. If you want to learn about marks equipment and if he's using it right download the manuals, look over some radio service manuals. When you run across something you don't understand research it.

Everything you seem to know about radio has came from the CB techs you've used over the years. You overlook the basics and get in over your head. You say you're always looking for a tech that can do a better job for you and that's what makes people like you an easy target. You don't have enough knowledge to know when you're being taken by a smooth talking saleman. To keep it pg13 let's call it self inflicted sexual abuse. ;)

Some folks have a preconceived notion often brought about from contact with someone that appears to them as being all-knowing. These people then often ask questions and when they get answers that do not agree with their preconceived notions they instantly feel as if the person giving the answer is wrong instead of actually considering the fact that their all-knowing reference and thus themselves could possible be wrong. These people often learn very little because they already know everything and are just looking to see if everybody else knows as much as they think they do. I used to have a neighbor like that. He would ask a question and then tell me I was wrong. When I proved it was he who was wrong he would get mad. I said "If you don't want to hear the answer then don't ask me the question". ;)

Conclusions

The strengths of a quality made UHF connector are the large center pin which can handle significant power and the relative inexpensive cost. The down side of an incorrect impedance are either not worth worrying about or are easy to compensate for at frequencies less than 500MHz.
Copied directly from the link you posted RabbiPorckChop, if it's not worth worrying about then why start this thread? Are you implying that my antenna setup is seriously flawed and should be reconfigured without the use of UHF connectors?

I also use a non-finetuned coaxial jumper cable for my standing wave ratio meter, I better get rid of all these UHF connectors & fast!!

Trust me when I say there is no conspiracy to make every radio tune-up bench incorrect other than your techs... Oh wait a minute maybe he is the only one who ever thought of such things?? :sleep:

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.