• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 pill comp amp question

psycho

Running a special on our rooms!
Aug 25, 2006
Floriduh
The output transformers have 1 toroid with 3 wraps feeding 12V to the back of the transformers.....2 2 pill sections 1 wrapped toroid each.
What is the function of the 2 wrapped toroids from the copper board to the input transformers ....I ask this because this is the only comp amp I have ever seen that does not have them. Amp seems to work pretty good any way.
No I don't have a clue who made this amp since I got a few amps on a trade.

The wire the wire from input transformer to the copper board grounds the bases of the transistors. The amp is class C. The torrid cores with 3 wraps are RF chokes. The wire has a low DC resistance and high RF resistance.

The collector of the transistors are fed 12v + via the output transformer. The torrid core also acts as an RF choke to keep as much RF as possible off the 12v + line.

Reactions: 1 person
The wire the wire from input transformer to the copper board grounds the bases of the transistors. The amp is class C. The torrid cores with 3 wraps are RF chokes. The wire has a low DC resistance and high RF resistance.

The collector of the transistors are fed 12v + via the output transformer. The torrid core also acts as an RF choke to keep as much RF as possible off the 12v + line.

I wonder how it works without the transistor bases grounded...I guess I'll need to add them.
Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't know why he left them out. The pic looks a little rough on my phone but from what I can see I think he should have installed the chokes to ground. Maybe his watt meter moves more without them. The transistors will still work as long as the emitter (tabs on the side) is grounded.

I don't know if this will make any difference but I have always seen three wraps on the chokes from the output transformers to the power bus.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.