• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4 x 2879 base class B bias amp for sale

lonestarbandit

Supporting Member - WDX 429
Dec 30, 2006
Offering my maybe 2 year old, from non smoking home, "Hopperbuilt" 4 pill base built in the larger new case (compared to older style) with class B bias and SSB delay for sale. Recently re-pilled with 4 brand new matched HGs from Rooster in TN. Some of you will recall I had a external low pass filter short out and knocked out 1 of the 4 pills. All 4 were replaced and the 3 good ones went in my parts bin.
Reason for selling is I stepped up to a 1x 3-500z tube amp. Nothing wrong with the Hopper other then a very strange slight discoloration in one area externally on the case which I've pictured. I have no idea what caused it other than I had a sticker on it I removed and my efforts to clean it netted me nothing. I'm not gonna break out the polishing compounds and buffer so I shall just have to leave it as is. The area is smooth and clean just odd looking as you see it. Obviously just like Ebay and for the same reason I cannot accept returns as unfortunantly there seem to be too many dishonest people out there but I am certain this amp would give satisfaction.
I make no output claims but I'll post a screen shot of the builders claimed output and vital statistics.
As you can see, I paid 849.00 before taxes and shipping. (Yes, I know I also hate people posting "I paid X.XX" as though that means something but I am posting it in the spirit of disclosure, not to beat anyone into purchasing.)

Given what beat up old class C base boxes are now going for on ebay and the cost of shipping I think 725.00 shipped (continental USA) and obviously no tax is a fair price for a fairly recently built base box with brand new fresh pills. Just thought I'd put it on offer before stuffing it in the closet.

20231203_115703.jpg20231203_115457.jpg
20231203_115515.jpg20231201_132121.jpg20231203_115505.jpg20231201_132233.jpgScreenshot_20231113_111842_DuckDuckGo.jpgScreenshot_20231113_111900_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Added some to groceries wifes picking up tonight. Maybe it will do the trick.

Last edited:
Phantom discoloration remains. Acetone failed. Beats the heck out of me. Sticker must have had some kind of strange, magic, chinese adhesive. Probably doesn't matter as there hasn't been any interest and after reading some horror stories of ebay part swappers I'm happier just stuffing it in the closet than risking some of those scammers. I'm not in financial place, thankfully, that forces me to sell so I have no problem just hanging onto it if no one needs it lol.

Phantom discoloration remains. Acetone failed. Beats the heck out of me. Sticker must have had some kind of strange, magic, chinese adhesive. Probably doesn't matter as there hasn't been any interest and after reading some horror stories of ebay part swappers I'm happier just stuffing it in the closet than risking some of those scammers. I'm not in financial place, thankfully, that forces me to sell so I have no problem just hanging onto it if no one needs it lol
White vinegar or muriatic acid will clean it but the latter is very volatile and must be done quick. Dip the corner and before it fizzes away rinse immediately to stop the reaction

Reactions: lonestarbandit
I did try vinegar previously. Lightened slightly but didn't clear it. Washed it off and popped it into the closet. I wish I knew what was in that sticker adhesive.
Crazy.

My guess is that the sticker protected the surface from oxidation and it is everything else that is discolored as the chromium in those spots have had more exposure to oxygen and other elements. It's hard to scrub off a clean spot if that's what it is. I would try Barkeepers Friend (oxalic acid) on the rest of the metal, its commonly used on stainless steel cookware.

My guess is that the sticker protected the surface from oxidation and it is everything else that is discolored as the chromium in those spots have had more exposure to oxygen and other elements. It's hard to scrub off a clean spot if that's what it is. I would try Barkeepers Friend (oxalic acid) on the rest of the metal, its commonly used on stainless steel cookware
Tried that and soft scrub no bueno.
But honestly it's no longer really a concern for me. No one seemed interested and I'm not that bothered by it myself, was just trying to get rid of it for the next owner. As it appears I AM the next owner I stuffed it in the closet with the Magnums, RCIs, Presidents and Cobras to gather dust. Thanks for all the ideas guys I appreciate it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.