• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

4x 4cx250b Glen amp

R

RFThomas

Im sure there are many experts out there on ceramic tube amps . all i can get out of this unit is 1000 watts with bird43 into dummyload ! all the tubes test just like new in my pride dx-300. now i know these tubes use low drive in my pride dx-300 and my 2 tube john boy box .but how about the 4 tube setup ?need more drive ? any suggestions ..this unit looks to be verry well built with grid / filiment /and high voltage circuts all fused . can any one help ?

</p>

How long have you owned the amp ? Have you ever seen it do more than 1000 watts ? I am quite certain that you don't want to drive the 250b with very much. Maybe the power supply in the amp is only capable of making the amp do 1000 watts ? Probably not much help but maybe some things to consider,Mike.

Do you have some pictures of the amp. I believe this is the same amp I used to own some many years ago. Remember your using a bird so you're seeing RMS. they (mine) did about 2300 pep when I used a Yeasu FT-101EE driving it with about 100 watts pep

Do you have some pictures of the amp. I believe this is the same amp I used to own some many years ago. Remember your using a bird so you're seeing RMS. they (mine) did about 2300 pep when I used a Yeasu FT-101EE driving it with about 100 watts pep

Holy mother of God. :eek: How did you manage to keep the tubes in their sockets when driving them with 100 watts? The 4CX250B is a very low drive tube with only 2 watts of grid dissipation.They typically require only a few watts for full output. Most amps using them in pairs can be driven to full output with just five watts drive.

Holy mother of God. :eek: How did you manage to keep the tubes in their sockets when driving them with 100 watts? The 4CX250B is a very low drive tube with only 2 watts of grid dissipation.They typically require only a few watts for full output. Most amps using them in pairs can be driven to full output with just five watts drive.

I built a 6-tube 4CX-250 box once and, it took 100 watts to drive.

It was Cathode-driven and each tube had a separate adjustable bias, a switchable meter was used to make sure that the tubes were balanced in idle.

300 Volts on the screen were controlled by three OC1 regulator tubes in series, I later went to zeners to control the screen volts.

Did an easy 4000 with a 3-phase AC supply and one Leece-NeVille.

Those were the 1980's.

I have been off radio for about 25 years now. Back in the day an amp would sell for a dollar a watt. I was told it is now .25 cents to .75 cents a watt. Anyone knows how much should i sell my Darke l-4b doing 2000 watts for. Someone has offerd me $1400.00 for it. Thank You

Wow my old thread from years back. I wish I would have never sold that old glen renegade 2k. Oh well I now own two glen custom 2400b amps. But boy oh boy that Renegade would look nice next to them.

Reactions: wavrider
That's not a bad offer. Doing a fleabay search for that model clicking on "sold items only" would get you a ballpark of what people actually have paid.

Mileage is everything for an amplifier pushing 44 to 50 years of age. The easier the miles, the better the price, as a rule.

I only key my boxes on Sunday on the way to church. No deadkey, swing only. I keep the city miles low

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.