• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

500w Amp For 95% AM 5%SSB

GreenTeg

Apr 15, 2010
So I am currently stuck between these following amps, and I am pretty much set on one unless you all agree otherwise that one of these is better than my choice. I want to get out a good amount of distance while not running any more than 50 amps max (honda alternator). Here they are:

TNT T400

TNT, Xforceamps

Midnight Special 500

Midnight Special, Xforceamps

Xforce X200

Xforce, Xforceamps

Here is my future setup:

Galaxy DX 959 (1w dk low / 5w dk high) -- Still not sure what PEP will be until I retune.
Wilson 1000 Antenna
Astatic 636L Mic
4 awg wire to distribution block to 8 awg wire to radio (8 awg to amp as well off distribution block)
**Currently with a kl-203 amp**

As previously posted, 95% of my usage will be on AM bands and the other 5% will be on SSB.

Obviously when I get one of these amplifiers I will also have to set the radio (RF Power) to gain my 1:4 ratio of dk to PEP on the amp.

Please help me select the best amp for my needs.

Thanks.

I would skip the X200, it's a 1x2 amplifier and thats not the cleanest or best way to get 450 watts.

You might also add a Texas Star 500V to your list, outstanding class AB amplifier.

A TnT 350 or 400 would be just fine. I think fatboy makes a nice 4 pill with 1446 finals that would do well for you also.

I know a lot of people swear by the Texas Stars, but I personally will not be able to run these amps in my car due to their massive amounts of power needed, the size, and the heat generated.

13641_196088653962_721628962_3116778_2267134_n.jpg

25861_337876308962_721628962_3676325_5261631_n.jpg

If you look closely, you can see my KL-203 amp down there (soon to be rewired with a 110 cfm fan).

Just My Opinion, But i would also remove the class c amp from the list, and i don't feel you need a driver in front of the 2879`s.
I run a T/S 500 on a Stock Ranger Pu with no problems, and if you add a fan to it, and just drive it with the radio it should be fine, it will run you about the same as the TNT 400 model, and you get 2879`s with more headroom, for about the same price.....:pop:

Jeff

I know a lot of people swear by the Texas Stars, but I personally will not be able to run these amps in my car due to their massive amounts of power needed, the size, and the heat generated.

LOL youve been listening to the wrong folks . whos the idiot that told you they take massive ammounts of power compared to class c amps ?

its a shame when folks believe those lies . their signal quality suffers from their poor choice of who to listen too .

the 500V will need less than 50 amps from your system , which is less than the 60 amps the TNT 400 can draw . i didnt loose any local contacts and skip didnt suffer going from a 500 watt amp on my base to a little under 200 watts . if youre concerned about amp draw on your vehicle a texas star 350 will make a very nice bump up in your signal strength .

sticking with your choices the TNT would be the only one id consider . id certianly recomend spending the extra $30 to bump up to the TNT 600 with four 2879s .

Efficiency. One thing that must be remembered when choosing an amp. The midnight special seems to best fit my application. You just said that dropping down to under 200 watts hardly made a difference, so why would I waste my money on something over 500w when 450w is my goal for a theoretical 80 miles AM. A 4 pill is the largest amp I want, and did you see where the kl203 was located? I don't exactly have the space for the Texas stars - period.

I still have to lay down the seats as well, so I'm pretty sure I cannot just turn one on it's side.

I would say that Midnight Special 500 would work best for both AM and SSB. It doesn't say how it is biased, but with it running 4/1446's it should be an AB biased amp - as a guess. Efficiency and overall usability has increased to use the radio's entire potential.

Running any of these amps should draw from 40 to 50 amps. Hope your alternator is up to it.

You want efficiency and you are running the 636 mic?!? Get a SkyThumper noise-canceling mic if you roll with open windows in a noisy car. I would run a D104 M2 - or a RF Limited Xtreme 2018 or CR-577 mic for best audio - IMO - if your ride is a quiet one.

Tell you what I would do with your current setup - tho. You should put the antenna square in the middle of the roof and not off to the rear/side like that. That is; if you want to maximize the use of what you already have.

Although it isn't necessary, change the coax on your Wilson 1000 from the stock/skinny stuff and go to Ham Radio Outlet and buy a piece of LMR-240 Ultraflex ($.82/ft for the coax + $6 for the silver-plated PL-239 connector and reduction ferrule). Handles more watts and is fully-shielded coax. Might set you back $18 including a new PL-239 connector. That would be more efficient...

Attachments

• 13641_196088653962_721628962_3116778_2267134_n.jpg
    13641_196088653962_721628962_3116778_2267134_n.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 223
i understand efficency , its very overblown by the class c crowd .

i didnt recomend anything over 500 watts .

if you got room for a TNT 400 or a midnight crapper 500 you got room for a TS 350 . buit if you think one of the cheapest class c amps is what you want go for it . it your money and you should get what makes you happy .

maybe you could find a good deal on a used ampower 2 pill ..................

robb , midnight specials are all class c amps made as cheaply as x-farce can make them .
using a certian pill is no indication of what kind of biasing is used on a amp .

If the 1446's aren't AB biased in the Midnight Special; then a Texas Star 350 would be the way to go.
No doubt about it.

In fact, I am selling my Texas Star 350. Since you live in my area GreenTeg, you won't need to pay for shipping and have to wait for it.
Let me know via PM...

Good eye on the antenna Rob, it'll be in the front of my moonroof in the center of the car. As for the cable, any reference for power handling capabilities of both the stock Wilson 1000 & the cable you referenced.

By the way, the ms500 is likely a class c amp and is less than half the size of either of the other amps = large selling point.

Good eye on the antenna Rob, it'll be in the front of my moon roof in the center of the car. As for the cable, any reference for power handling capabilities of both the stock Wilson 1000 & the cable you referenced.

By the way, the ms500 is likely a class c amp and is less than half the size of either of the other amps = large selling point.
But it won't work very well at all when on SSB, The TS 350 is approx 2.75" H x 7.25" L x 5.50" W. You will still need PLENTY of air around any amp you pick to ensure it stays alive and still can draw heat away. That is an important consideration too.

The stock cable on a Wilson 1000 is thinner than the Wilson 5000. It will work up to ~500 watts well enough. But the LMR-240 Ultraflex is rated at three times that much power and is fully shielded. A nice plus.

http://www.timesmicrowave.com/content/pdf/lmr/16-19.pdf

Absolutely nothing. I'm sticking with what I've got and not falling into this outdated bs. My radio can and has gotten me everywhere I've needed so far, so why join the rather Shivaic style of phallicy with you guys anyways? It is pointless and not part of the hobby that I love - tuning.

Greenteg, I don't think anyone was trying to sell you on any outdated BS. They were just making suggestions that could make improvements. As Doc so kindly pointed out "What's wrong with what you have now?" Perhaps the best suggestion so far because if you're not willing to increase your power by at least four times (6 db or 1 S unit) it's not worth the bother in the first place.

Absolutely nothing. I'm sticking with what I've got and not falling into this outdated bs. My radio can and has gotten me everywhere I've needed so far, so why join the rather Shivaic style of phallicy with you guys anyways? It is pointless and not part of the hobby that I love - tuning.

Ummmm...you distinctly made suggestions that you were considering getting a XForce or a Midnight Special - plus a third choice on the previous page of this thread. You asked what we all thought - and we told you. You even sent me a PM and asked me to join in this discussion. You want efficiency and asked for it.

:bdh:
Name on this thread?
"500w Amp For 95% AM 5% SSB"

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.