• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

500w Amp For 95% AM 5%SSB

Again, Not a good choice. They are the same preamp that are in the cb amplifiers.

Here are some better choices, BUT in my opinion if this is for mobile, Dont use a preamp. Get the best antenna you can, Wilsons are in my opinion the best all round. And GROUND GROUND GROUND. Ground the radio, amp, antenna, chassis to all electrical componets. That lil money you spend on the ground strap will payoff TONS more than any preamplifier.

Tuners, Preamps, Combiners and Splitters
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3712
HEAR IT Inline Module - GAP Noise Canceling Inline Module

You can put in Shottky barrier diodes and a 2SC2999'e' Sanyo transistor in the receive section (1st IF amp stage - I believe) to improve the receive in your Galaxy 959 radio. Kits are available on eBay for $5 including the instruction sheet for your radio. You don't need to re-tune the receive section once it is done - either. If you have decent soldering skills and have worked on electronics before, it should be straightforward to do and the results are quite noticeable. I have done it to a few radios with decent results. Takes about an hour to do...Worth it - IMO...

You can put in Shottky barrier diodes and a 2SC2999'e' Sanyo transistor in the receive section (1st IF amp stage - I believe) to improve the receive in your Galaxy 959 radio. Kits are available on eBay for $5 including the instruction sheet for your radio. You don't need to re-tune the receive section once it is done - either. If you have decent soldering skills and have worked on electronics before, it should be straightforward to do and the results are quite noticeable. I have done it to a few radios with decent results. Takes about an hour to do...Worth it - IMO...

How you like your gap titan??

Rob, would you mind posting a link to some of these online sales or possibly doing these modifications for me?

I am greatly familiar with this link: The Defpom EPT06960Z Galaxy 949 / 959 modifications

And have been told that most of those modifications are actually bad. A swing kit for instance, I do not find to be a properly good modification, it doesnt sound as good when amplified.

IF these following modifications are good for my radio, then I will by all means do them:

Power Amp Improvement (2SB754) - Q54 --> 1x 2SB817, 100-watt, 12A Electronix Online
AM AF Amplifier Improvement - Q55 --> 1x 2SA1012 Electronix Online
Receive Improvement - D30 & D31 and Noise Blanker Improvement - D1 & D2--> 4x 1N6263 ST Micro 1N6263 STMicroelectronics Schottky (Diodes & Rectifiers)
TR-17 --> 1x 2SC2999E http://www.bdent.com/search/part.jsp?partnum=2SC2999E-SPA

Last edited:
Don't worry about posting links. I just spent the last few hours searching for the best prices on these things (sad to say), and found them all.

I will be doing all 7 of these changes to my board to help with the future amplifier upgrade.

Now I just need someone with better equipment to do them for me and properly align the radio.

Last edited:
Model: Galaxy 959
Receiver upgrade - parts & locations

Parts needed:

4 - 1N6263 Shottky barrier diodes @ ~$.25/ea
1 - 2SC2999E Sanyo transistor @ ~$1.00/ea
Total cost: ~$2 plus shipping

Locations on the board:

Diode locations:
D1, D2, D30, & D31 ('1N6263')
(Note: make certain that the band on the diode is oriented in the same direction as the part being removed)

Transistor location:
TR-17 ('2SC2999E')

No receiver adjustments necessary

Installer assumes ALL risks for said upgrade.

Would anyone in San Jose, CA be willing to do these modifications to my chassis for me? I am also sure that the rx/tx align is not perfect, and would probably want that done as well.

Thanks again everyone. You guys are definitely saving me money on equipment I don't need like a pre-amp and such. Greatly appreciated.

-Greenteg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.