• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A/C ? For You Chevy Mechanics/Owners out there

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
I have a 2005 Colorado Standard Cab little truck. When I got it 3 years ago it was excellent condition and only 35K original miles - from an inheritance. So the AC blows only cool but not cold .... since I got it. I'm thinking of the likelihood that because it only has to cool the little cab - that they just didn't put a very large system in it. I am competent to buy & use one of those little kits with Gauge/Hose/Can of freon and add some if needed .... but if others are experiencing the same then it may be working normally with nothing to be done to improve it. Just asking around before unnecessarily buying the kit that may be unneeded. Thanks for any help!

I would get the smallest can of R134A and put it in, but that's me. Buy a separate hose that's not permanently attached to the can for re-use later. The A/C should be cold enough to feel in the sun.

If you try to do it yourself, go with the kit that also contains UV dye. That way you can find where the problem is with a blacklight. Often times these DIY kits are not that effective because air can be sucked into the system through the leak and adding more refrigerant does not remove the air. At least if you do use a temporary do-it-yourself kit, you have a chance to find the problem and can let the shop know whats bad before they pump down the system and recharge it the proper way.

Reactions: Brother DXer
Got tired of the seemingly poor AC in the little truck. Put on my refrigeration gauges and sure enough it was low on freon. I wasn't expecting a problem really as the truck only had 35K miles on it when I inherited and all else was well maintained and like new. Got one of these and it fixed me right up. AC is blowing COLD. So YES, the AC in a modern small standard cab GM truck should be just as cold as what you get in a larger vehicle.
AF22-CA_Front.png

Reactions: Brother DXer

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.