• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A cool thing happend to me at work yesterday.......

KB1TPX

W1MBZ
Jul 22, 2008
Warwick, RI 02818
I was picking up litter around the property when a circa 1930 bi-plane flew over. This was not out of the ordinary, as there is a small airfield a quarter of a mile away, which has many old small planes.
The cool thing was, that as I was watching it ascend, something flew out of it's open cockpit and came fluttering down towards the ground! That's when I realized that the wind was just right and it was coming right at me. Well it landed about a hundred feet from me, so I walked over to see what it was.
Apparently, a seat cushion had blown loose. The pilot's cockpit is in the rear of this plane and the passengers sit up front. It's a tour plane.
So, I called the airfield and they were ecstatic that I had recovered the cushion and a lovely blond with the license plate "Fly Girl" came right over to pick it up, she was very grateful. I thought I should have held the cushion ransom for a free ride, but my conscience told me that being a good neighbor was sufficient.
Well, within an hour, the owner of the plane showed up to thank me in person and and gave me free "Thrill Ride" tickets. Wow! I've always seen that plane flying over and often wished I could one day go up and take the tour, but it's very expensive! Now I'm going for free!
It pays to be a good neighbor!(y)

I don't know anything about that operation but there is one around here that sounds very similar. It will be an experience you will never forget, unfortunately a lot of people chicken out at the last minute though.

Good story.

As a young man at the U of Texas, I use to fly with a class mate that did not even have his license, call me daring, I never thought about the danger, it was all in the thrill.

You did good KB1TPX, I'm proud of you young man.

Ask him if you can 'follow through' with him on the controls! :)

Marconi,
A "Tea Sipper", you ought'a be ashamed!

- 'Doc

As a young man at the U of Texas, I use to fly with a class mate that did not even have his license, call me daring, I never thought about the danger, it was all in the thrill.

You did good KB1TPX, I'm proud of you young man.

Once upon a time I took a few flight lessons around there and heard many stories about days gone by and unlicensed folks using an airstrip somewhere out near Wimberley to smuggle certain goods in and out of the area. Much like everything, no license needed until you get caught.

be sure to put your seatbelt/harness on ...... unless you want the same ride that seat cushion had . hehehe

Grats !! You are very blessed to be able to take a ride in a plane..open topper to !! :D

Should take a handheld with ya...5 watts can take you a very long way at 3000 feet !! (y) :tongue:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.