• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A way to seal coax connectors...

brandon7861

Loose Wire
Nov 28, 2018
I have this summer neighbor that used to work for Boeing building rockets for NASA that showed me the coolest tape ever. Its called Scotch 23 Rubber Splicing Tape. They called it "Bi-Seal" and NASA used it for making sure wiring harness connectors would not come loose under the extreme vibration during the burn. One winter, he left his outdoor water hydrant open when gone for the winter and the ice split 2' of the pipe above ground. This stuff sealed it until the welder could come fix it. It didn't leak a drop, he could have left it taped. He told me a story about it fixing a coworkers blown radiator hose and that it never leaked again. Apparently, heat makes it stick together even better.

Anyhow, he gave me just over a roll of it, and what little I have used it, all I can say is DAMN! Once you stretch it and wrap it (its not sticky at all), it vulcanizes to itself and, after one minute, cannot be peeled apart. The only way to get it off is cutting it. That is some serious stuff if anyone is interested in checking it out. Although the rolls are fairly expensive, the material stretches quite a bit and a little 3" piece can seal a coax barrel connector with ease.

"Rescue tape " works well. It's a self vulcanizing non- adhesive tape that's applied by stretching and wrapping. It's waterproof and UV resistant.

This sounds similar to what you guys are describing.

You can buy rescue tape at hardware stores like Ace and Tru-Value.

I use liner less rubber splicing tape ( 3M) as the first layer covered by 3M Super 88 for the outer layer.
We used this combo on electrical connections in the food processing plant.
The rubber tape is good for 69kv and self vulcanizing to seal out moisture, and the 88 is a tough outer layer that takes 0° to 220° and is abrasion resistant.
Works great on coax connectors as well.
There is also Coax Seal, soft moldable putty that you can use.

Jeff

Reactions: brandon7861
I use this stuff. Seals like a mutha as well. Uv protected, stays flexible and easy to peel of when needed. Its awesome.

Attachments

• 16942878752564386651126697888064.jpg
    16942878752564386651126697888064.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
Yup self vulcanizing tape is nothing new. It comes under a few different names, Rescue Tape being one. You can find it in the plumbing section of most hardware stores. Electrical supply shops have a heavier, more expensive version. It is NOT UV protected so make sure you use a GOOD electrical tape over it. I have used it for at least 20 years and have never had a problem with moisture getting into my connections.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.