• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

A99 as a scanner antenna?

EDUK8TR

Got an old A99 I'm going to refurbish. I thought once I put it back up I might use it as a antenna for a scanner. Will this work OK?

Thanks!!

Wayne C.

CDX-787

mobile/base

Magna Force 900

HR2600/Kenwood TS-430S

MR. COILY Single Coil/Wolf .64 ground plane

D104M6B/MC-60 desk

Every man is a damn fool for at least 5 minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.

educate-01sig.gif

</p>

Sure...just about anything works as a scanner antenna. Although there are some antennas you can buy out there real cheap (around $20-$30, I think) that are much smaller, about the size of a TV antenna that will work great. If you don't care about the size, then just use the A99

Moleculo

</p>

I use the antron 99 as a base 11meter and as a scanner antenna.
I switch them back and forth with a switch boxs.
Ps. you can here things you never heard of before with the big antron.

What frequencies are you trying to receive?

I have used my imax2000 on the scanner but mostly when scanning 30-54MHz. Most activity here is vhf 137-174MHz so I mainly use a small vhf whip.

Actually an old car antenna is better then the a99 for a scanner usually. But the Antron will do for most things.

I was recently thinking of doing this also. I have an extra 99 lying around. I was just going to put it in the attic and use it for scanning the cb freq.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio